What category of forums should be here?

As we start to get this community moving I'm wondering what specific forum categories we should have.  I don't want long messy navigation but I'm sure some sort of categorisation would be useful.  So, I set up three and I'll leave the rest open for discussion.

What do you think?

Paul

• maybe project examples and a sub categorisation?

It might be useful to provide users with some sample projects, sort of shell projects if you like, that include all the required API references and the basic template code structure to perform some specific functionality like 'My first SDL Xliff reader' or 'My first TM Provider' etc...

Note: we don't need to include or reveal all our hard work in these example projects Smile; just the basic project structure and how it all fits together.

From my impression, even though the SDL SDK documentation is very complete, I have seen that developers (including me Stick out tongue ) have had some difficulty taking that first step in understanding how to put it all together (i.e. implementing the API's & setting up a working project); maybe some basic but complete (shell projects) would jump start the community.

I already wrote a small (but complete) project of this nature (SdlXliffReaderExample) to help out another team; It includes all source code for a sample project that provides functionality to iterate through an SDLXLIFF file and recover all the segment pairs.  The project also demonstrates how to provide compatibility for both versions of Studio (2009 & 2011).

Maybe this type of project and other projects of this type could help other developers getting started?

• Unknown said:

maybe project examples and a sub categorisation?

It might be useful to provide users with some sample projects, sort of shell projects if you like, that include all the required API references and the basic template code structure to perform some specific functionality like 'My first SDL Xliff reader' or 'My first TM Provider' etc...

I totally agree with Patrick.  I also think that a "My First OX App installer" will be greatly appreciated together with whatever requirements or guidelines can be provided for building OX apps or publishable Multiterm Databases.

I can fix up something like My first SdlTm Export, My first SdlTm Import and My first SdlTm Create.

Unknown said:
    From my impression, even though the SDL SDK documentation is very complete, I have seen that developers (including me Stick out tongue ) have had some difficulty taking that first step in understanding how to put it all together (i.e. implementing the API's & setting up a working project); maybe some basic but complete (shell projects) would jump start the community.

I can second that.  Although some parts are well or even very well documented there are times that even the most easy to do thing becomes very difficult because there is somewhere some missing information about a required file or resource etc..

I think that SDL OpenExchange Developers forum, it is very good idea and  I am sure that it will help a lot.

Have a nice weekend,

Costas

• Hi Guys!

As the 'old men' of OpenExchange development :-) your experience will be invaluable here and your sample apps would be a superb addition and a real window in the realities of OX development.  Thanks to both of you for taking the lead again and pioneers such as yourselves really embody what we are out to achieve with SDL OpenExchange!

Regards, Ian

Ian Davies - Senior Product Manager - SDL Language Technologies Division

• Hi Ian,

You really make my blush.  I do not know about Patrick but I think you overestimate me.  I feel there is too little that I know and I would not have made anything with out your support and encouragement.

Thanks again for everything and have a nice weekend.

Best regards,

Costas

• tks Ian; really appreciated Smile

Costas Nadalis said:
    I feel there is too little that I know and I would not have made anything with out your support and encouragement.

ditto; SDL are a great team;  I also received very good support during the development phases; n.1

we might even get away with applying the quote "The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know. -- Socrates" Stick out tongue

--I feel like this almost all the time; the remaining times I really don’t know Smile

• Unknown said:

maybe project examples and a sub categorisation?

This is an excellent idea Patrick.  I'm wondering if we could use the wiki pages for this, or whether it would be better as you say, with a forum for this and sub categories for each template?  I think you almost want to provide the information in a way it won't be lost as the forum gets busier,and than have a Forum for discussion on the templates... so something like a getting started forum.

Costas Nadalis said:
     I also think that a "My First OX App installer" will be greatly appreciated together with whatever requirements or guidelines can be provided for building OX apps or publishable Multiterm Databases.

I can fix up something like My first SdlTm Export, My first SdlTm Import and My first SdlTm Create.

Also a very good idea.  I hadn't thought about how to make these things easier... I don't know how to develop with the SDK so assumed all you guys just didn't need it..!  But you're right, and even thinking about this makes me think I could... even though I probably couldn't Tongue Tied

Maybe we can have a play with the pages next week and see how it would look?

Paul
  • Hi Paul at al.,

Some thoughts on categories....

Guidelines

A section to add general information and links for standards, documents with info on SDL type implementations, guidelines on how to, best practices etc.

Code samples

A section to post parts of code on Studio apps, Multiterm apps and non Studio dependent applications and discuss it.

Tips and tricks

A section to ask the community for assistance and provide help and ideas on solving problems, discuss or vote on the best way to do something etc.

Supply and Demand / What is needed and What is done

Maybe with a different name.  A section with what the users / developers require, what is done, what is in progress what is in the future plans who is doing it, SDL/3rd party, free/paid etc.. Paul's list with the look ahead.

Applications

a section with what is going on with the existing Applications, bugs, fixes, further development ideas etc.

Please comment and add ideas.

Regards,

Costas

• Hi Costas,

This is great. I think I'll start with something like this to encompass the feedback from your and Patrick so far and we'll see how it goes.  I can refine as needed later, but I intend to start adding more of the developer community now so have to start somewhere if we want to see this becoming the sort of resource we hope it will be.

Thanks for these ideas so far.

Cheers

Paul

• I think Costas's ideas are great, but just to add one I think would be great:
    *Feature Requests*

You could have a category that lists feature requests and then have developers vote on them.
    I'm thinking of something like https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/
    Also, SDL representatives could give feedback about certain features so we could know the progress
    and whether it will be implemented or not.
  • Good idea. I believe that voting on features/requirement should be a standard component in the SDL Community that any group can implement to aid their needs. The ETUG group also wants this functionality.