Access source segments

Hi,

I created a project in Studio and would like to access all source segments for the files in that project. What would be the easiest way?

I tried this:

FileBasedProject currFbp = new FileBasedProject(filepath);
projectsController.Open(currFbp);
var projectFiles = projectsController.CurrentProject.GetSourceLanguageFiles();
foreach (var projectFile in projectFiles)
{
    var editorController = SdlTradosStudio.Application.GetController<EditorController>();
    editorController.Activate();
    editorController.Open(projectFile);
}

It now opens the editor and I can access all segments. However, before it opens a file, I get a dialog.

I then tried to open all files:

FileBasedProject currFbp = new FileBasedProject(filepath);
projectsController.Open(currFbp);
var projectFiles = projectsController.CurrentProject.GetSourceLanguageFiles();
var editorController = SdlTradosStudio.Application.GetController<EditorController>();
editorController.Activate();
editorController.Open(projectFiles, EditingMode.Review);

However, now I get an exception: "An exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in Sdl.TranslationStudioAutomation.IntegrationApi.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: The file xyz.docx.sdlxliff belongs to a project that is not currently open. Open the project first."

Thanks,

Henk

Parents
  • Hi Henk,

The easiest way would be to use the batch task api, that way you do not need to open the file in the editor.

Here is an entire example that counts the words in the target segment. It should be easy to adjust this to access all the source segments.

• Hello, how can I access this custom batch task code, WITHOUT using the Trados UI? In other words, how do I initiate the code flow of this batch task and make it run, without using the Trados UI at all? I have my own Trados API application that needs to count the words per segment, again without ever opening Trados UI. Please help!

emoji
  • I found a workaround and posting it here in case someone else needs it. I am creating a fake TU using the source segment and an arbitrary target segment text, to make the TU valid. Then I insert the TU into a (empty) TM just to let the TM tokenize the TU, and thus the source segment object reference. After that, the .tokens attribute of the source segment object are populated. Then I use WordCounts() of the Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemory namespace and pass the list of tokens to get back the number of "words". Example code below:

public override void ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit)
            {
                if (paragraphUnit.IsStructure == false)
                {
                    foreach (ISegmentPair segmentPair in paragraphUnit.SegmentPairs)
                    {
                        string mid = segmentPair.Source.Properties.Id.ToString();

Segment sourceSegment = ISegmentToSegmentConvert.ConvertToSegment(segmentPair.Source,
                            CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo(this.sourceLang));  // convert from ISegment to Segment

var tu = new TranslationUnit(sourceSegment, new Segment(new CultureInfo(this.targetLang)));                    
                        tu.TargetSegment.Add("Sample target text");  // random text just to fill the target of the TU
                        ErrorCode validation = tu.Validate();

// Hack: add the TU into the empty TM to force the .tokens of the source segment to be generated
                        this.tm.LanguageDirection.AddTranslationUnit(tu, new ImportSettings());

if (sourceSegment.Tokens == null)
                        {
                            Console.WriteLine("Word calculation returned null tokens");
                            Environment.Exit(1);
                        }

// calculate word count per source segment
                        int wc = new WordCounts(sourceSegment.Tokens, false, false, true, false).Words;
                    }
                }
            }
    emoji
  • I found a workaround and posting it here in case someone else needs it. I am creating a fake TU using the source segment and an arbitrary target segment text, to make the TU valid. Then I insert the TU into a (empty) TM just to let the TM tokenize the TU, and thus the source segment object reference. After that, the .tokens attribute of the source segment object are populated. Then I use WordCounts() of the Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemory namespace and pass the list of tokens to get back the number of "words". Example code below:

public override void ProcessParagraphUnit(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit)
            {
                if (paragraphUnit.IsStructure == false)
                {
                    foreach (ISegmentPair segmentPair in paragraphUnit.SegmentPairs)
                    {
                        string mid = segmentPair.Source.Properties.Id.ToString();

Segment sourceSegment = ISegmentToSegmentConvert.ConvertToSegment(segmentPair.Source,
                            CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo(this.sourceLang));  // convert from ISegment to Segment

var tu = new TranslationUnit(sourceSegment, new Segment(new CultureInfo(this.targetLang)));                    
                        tu.TargetSegment.Add("Sample target text");  // random text just to fill the target of the TU
                        ErrorCode validation = tu.Validate();

// Hack: add the TU into the empty TM to force the .tokens of the source segment to be generated
                        this.tm.LanguageDirection.AddTranslationUnit(tu, new ImportSettings());

if (sourceSegment.Tokens == null)
                        {
                            Console.WriteLine("Word calculation returned null tokens");
                            Environment.Exit(1);
                        }

// calculate word count per source segment
                        int wc = new WordCounts(sourceSegment.Tokens, false, false, true, false).Words;
                    }
                }
            }
    emoji
Children
No Data