Under Community Review

Excluding a given segment from auto-propagation

Hi everybody,

I am a huge fan of auto-propagation, but it happens I want to exclude a given segment from the auto-propagation, because the context requires I translate it differently of other like segments.

In practice, I would like to be able to translate or change a specific without propagating the specific translation or change to all the segments down the road that were auto-propagated from a segment located higher in the document. 

For instance, in the picture below, the segment was propagated as "É.A.U. (Dubaï)" since it is written this way elsewhere in the document. But in this specific table, I would need to be able to write it "É.A.U. – Dubaï", for consistency reasons with the rest of that one table, being sure that it will not inadvertently revert to the first format if I change anything elsewhere.

Screenshot of Trados Studio segment with auto-propagation, showing 'E.A.U. (Dubai)' with a warning icon indicating a potential issue.

Would it be possible to exclude a specific segment from auto-propagation with, for instance, a simple right-click? 

Thanks in advance

Parents
  • Salut Philippe,

You probably know that you can prevent or change the settings for autopropagation under File>Options, here:Screenshot of Trados Studio Options dialog showing Auto-propagation settings with 'Enable Auto-propagation' checked and various conditions for prompting the user.

This is a difficult one. I presume you don't want to turn auto-propagation off altogether, or you'd just click 'Always'.

Yet, how could you stop at a given repetition to right-click if one of the above instances were not appropriate to the empty target you'd like to translate differently.

As much of my work these days is proofreading, I use the setting I have ticked above because I'm reading existing target content. However, when translating from scratch, I can't see how one would differentiate between a segment that required a different translation whilst at the same time auto-propagating segments that should be identical, without going through the document to right-click that segment which takes the same amount of time as locking that segment...

What am I missing here?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

(not an RWS employee, just interested by your idea and the scenario this could be implemented in)

Comment
  • Salut Philippe,

You probably know that you can prevent or change the settings for autopropagation under File>Options, here:Screenshot of Trados Studio Options dialog showing Auto-propagation settings with 'Enable Auto-propagation' checked and various conditions for prompting the user.

This is a difficult one. I presume you don't want to turn auto-propagation off altogether, or you'd just click 'Always'.

Yet, how could you stop at a given repetition to right-click if one of the above instances were not appropriate to the empty target you'd like to translate differently.

As much of my work these days is proofreading, I use the setting I have ticked above because I'm reading existing target content. However, when translating from scratch, I can't see how one would differentiate between a segment that required a different translation whilst at the same time auto-propagating segments that should be identical, without going through the document to right-click that segment which takes the same amount of time as locking that segment...

What am I missing here?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

(not an RWS employee, just interested by your idea and the scenario this could be implemented in)

Children