Idea Delivered

This idea has now been fully delivered with Trados Studio 2022 SR1. You now have the choice between a progress bar based on words and/or segments. See release notes for more information.

Please go back to Progress Bar focusing on words not segments

Parents
  • I have been using Trados for 11 years (Studio 2009) and followed my progress toward completion and getting paid by Words and all the sudden, it is changed to segments and even worse is still incorrect as I discovered in a recent post.

(+) TRADOS STUDIO 2022 Term Recognition NOT working correctly ? - 2. Trados Studio - Trados Studio - RWS Community (Sorry about the mismatch between the content and the title)

Please, just listen to the many people arguing and get back to a "Files" view by Words or make it selectable by the user as it is selectable in the Confirmation Statistics windows.

• I submitted an "idea" to get this issue fixed in the best way as it is right there in the Editor View.
    I will continue the discussion in this post as I see it is the best place

At the bottom of the Editor view, if you double click on the number of Translated items, the popup window (Display Settings) prompt you to choose between Words (source) / Characters (source) / Segments (Those Display settings are the same as in the Confirmation Statistics windows).

If you make a choice in this popup window (Display Settings), this choice should be your choice and ought to be used in the Files view as well as in the Manager (Beta) view.
    (My preference here as well as many being Words and this was rightly the default in the last 10 years of Trados Studio since Studio 2009)

So far I have not seen anyone doing translation work for a living agreeing with this change implemented in studio 2022, which shows progress by Segments.

(Again nobody is paid by Segments - a totally artificial metrics)

(As a side note: I am considering the choice of Characters offered in this popup window as totally useless)

I expect Product management to look back to the disputed change from Words to Segments in both Files view as well as in the Manager (Beta) view, and agree to considering for consistency the user choice made in the popup window (Display Settings) in the Editor view.
    As the saying goes « Le client est roi »

Comment
  • I submitted an "idea" to get this issue fixed in the best way as it is right there in the Editor View.
    I will continue the discussion in this post as I see it is the best place

At the bottom of the Editor view, if you double click on the number of Translated items, the popup window (Display Settings) prompt you to choose between Words (source) / Characters (source) / Segments (Those Display settings are the same as in the Confirmation Statistics windows).

If you make a choice in this popup window (Display Settings), this choice should be your choice and ought to be used in the Files view as well as in the Manager (Beta) view.
    (My preference here as well as many being Words and this was rightly the default in the last 10 years of Trados Studio since Studio 2009)

So far I have not seen anyone doing translation work for a living agreeing with this change implemented in studio 2022, which shows progress by Segments.

(Again nobody is paid by Segments - a totally artificial metrics)

(As a side note: I am considering the choice of Characters offered in this popup window as totally useless)

I expect Product management to look back to the disputed change from Words to Segments in both Files view as well as in the Manager (Beta) view, and agree to considering for consistency the user choice made in the popup window (Display Settings) in the Editor view.
    As the saying goes « Le client est roi »

Children
  • To precisely answer to Paul's comments in another post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Progress column in the Files View is there so show progress through the files in the project and this is more than just a wordcount.  In fact a wordcount doesn't always accurately reflect whether a file is completely finished which is why the change was made.

However, a reasonable suggestion would be to support an option to choose your preference.  So I suggest you stop asking for it to be reverted as this won't happen (there is hardly any support for this as far as I can see anyway), and instead focus on two things:

1. explain why the various other ways to view your progress through a file are inadequate for you
    2. suggest a compromise where these options are made available for the Progress column as well

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

I use Files view and the Progress column all the time - this is a better indicator of progress during my work as this particular Files view shows all the files in a project, while the Editor view shows only the files you elected to work on at a given time. Therefore, it is absolutely essential for me to measure what I want to see and it is the Words in progress.

The fact is that the Words count does accurately reflect for me where I am in my daily work with respect to my delivery and me making the progress I need to meet my deadlines and getting paid by Words.

At the risk of repeating myself,
    I do not care  about Segments as it is a totally artificial metrics.

The compromise is to implement in both Files view as well as in the Manager (Beta) view a Progress column by Words, based upon the user choice made in the popup window (Display Settings) from the bottom Editor view when you double click on the number of Translated items.

• I am still facing the issue of NOT having a way to measure my progress by Words in the File view.

I cannot see any progress indicator by Words in the Editor view BY FILES when the project has 2 or more files (very common) as what I see are the statistics for the ENTIRE SET OF FILES. The Confirmation Statistics being also for the ENTIRE SET OF FILES, the only useful view to monitor progress by Words was the File view, no more!

Do you agree that the issue of replacing the progress indicator by Words to a progress indicator by Segments in the File view has created a huge issue of consistency between those 3 views with respect to monitoring the work in progress and that must be addressed rather urgently?

Thanks for your understanding.

•  

Please stop this.  You have several ways of measuring your progress as has been explained multiple times.  So far two people seem to have voted for the work required to give you a way to also see progress the way you used to.  Repeating yourself continually without even acknowledging there are other ways that are just as easy isn't going help.

Votes help!!  And two users voting won't cut it!

•      

We are running some one on one online sessions with our development team to get some direct feedback on the new Manager view in Trados Studio 2022 and this topic sits quite nicely in there.  So if you're interested in making sure your opinion is considered you can apply for the opportunity here: Trados Studio Manager View - Feedback Opportunity 

• Sorry, Paul and Paul, but I still do not understand the issue.

I created this dummy sdlxliff, in which 6 out of 36 words, and 5 out of 7 segments, are confirmed:

And the progress bar seems to actually be based on words everywhere, since 6 words confirmed out of 36 are 16.77%, while the number of segments confirmed are 71.4%:
    There is a small discrepancy between 16.67% and 13% as shown, but it seems the progress bar does focus on words, otherwise it would show 71.4%.

So, what do I miss?