This topic shows you how to install and setup Microsoft SQL Server database engine.
About this task
To setup SDL Trados Business Manager in network mode, it is necessary to install database server first. Another option is to rent database in the cloud (for example, Azure or Amazon Web Services). In this case, you will simply get server name, user name and password for your database, which may be specified in the program settings.
But if you have local network with access from all workstations, an option with installing SQL Server Express will be preferred in most cases (take a note on database file size limit in this section description ).
- Go to the Microsoft website and download SQL Server 2014 Express installation file. You can download it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299
- Select Download and select the smallest package to download (
Express 32BIT\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe, depending on your platform).
- Run the installer, and select New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- On the Installation type page, select Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2014. If no SQL Server instances are installed on your computer, this step will be automatically skipped.
- On the Feature selection step, it is enough to select Database Engine Services. You can deselect the other options.
- On the Instance configuration step, specify instance name or leave default (SQLEXPRESS).
- On the Database configuration step, select Mixed mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication) and specify password for the instance being created.
- Select Next to start the installation.
- Select Close.
- SQL Server is installed and ready to be used. You can run sqlcmd utility and create empty database (in the desired location). Otherwise, it will be created automatically by SDL Trados Business Manager in the next step.