TM not updating and no Lookups

Hi,

My TMs are not updating and there is no TM lookup on my documents even with previously translated segments which would be 100% matches.

I have the update option is ticked off both on the TM window and on the TM Editor. 

I also run an update from Batch Tasks without success. 

How can I fix this, please?

I have an imminent deadline and these issues just keep on coming!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Seb

emoji
  • I am confused about how Wordfast 3.1.4 handles TM Lookup and TM Updating when I proofread text (= read through and correct a translation). Can you explain it?

I have enabled "Perform TM Lookup automatically". My key bindings are Alt+Down = Next Segment (TM Commit); and Ctrl+Down = Next Segment (No Commit). Auto Propagation is off (it wraps around at the end of the file and should not do that for me).

This is what happens and confuses. (What I want is at the end.)

Advancing with Alt+Down: WF apparently updates the TM when I change a translation, but does not show the updated translation when I encounter the same segment next time. In fact the TM Lookup window does nothing at all. This is strange and useless for me because when I proof I want to be informed when a translation is different from the TM translation.

Advancing with Ctrl+Down: The TM Lookup windows shows TM lookup results of the source segment or the target segment. (In some segments, the text field in the TM Lookup window is automatically populated with the source text, in other segments, with the target text, and which one it appears random.) As expected (No Commit), the TM is not updated when I change the translation. This is also useless for me, because I want to look up only at similar source segments and update the TM. Basically from here I have also segmenting the mobile erp and related and it is working fine.

I want Alt+Down and Alt+Ctrl with one key binding: Whenever I go to the next segment, always update the TM with changes in the current target segment and always show the (updated) TM lookup result for the next source segment (without overwriting the existing translation). In Trados parlance: I need the basic Set/Close Next Open/Get.

Is this possible with WF?

Thank you.

Can somebody shed light on the apparent fact that you cannot proof with a TM in WF?

This means not only that you cannot proof a translation you receive. You cannot even review your own translation with help from the TM.

I find this TM behaviour very strange. It does not help me check consistency and does not improve productivity. I end up doing as much manual searching and copying as I do without a TM. While WF has some great features, the apparently powerless TM for me is a strong argument not to use WF at all.

Are you a WF expert? Please teach me the art of proofreading in WF.

I don't understand what you mean by leveraging the TM while proofreading. As far as I understand, leveraging is useful when translating.

This is my way: while proofreading the bilingual file, I correct one segment, confirm it with Alt + Down, then I search in the bilingual file if there are other occurrences of the same error (one can search on source text and on target text), and then I look if they are corrected or not. WF Pro automatically updates repetitions, and the other currencies have to be corrected by hand.

Then I save the whole translated text in the original file format and do second proofreading comparing with the original file (either on paper, either on the screen), and correct the errors in the bilingual file, then save again. (in case of PPT, three or four cycli are often necessary). In the end, I commit the whole bilingual file to the TM, and this TM will be used the next time for the next text.

Same process for WF Classic: proofreading on the bilingual file + comparison with the target file (but WF Cl does not automatically update répétitions), and also for Trados.

This means that, if you have, say, 2 nearly identical files, then you should at first prepare 1 file entirely (the whole cyclus) before processing the other one.

But maybe there are other ways of proofreading.

emoji
  • I suggest you ask this question in a Wordfast forum.  This forum is all about Trados products.

emoji
  • Can you share a screenshot of your Project Settings showing how your TMs are set up?

Can you also confirm how you now that previously translated segments are in your TM?  Is this from the same document or different projects?

emoji