Trying to update TradosStudio2024_18.0.0.1013 to TradosStudio2024_18.0.1.2259

Trying to update TradosStudio2024_18.0.0.1013 to TradosStudio2024_18.0.1.2259, I got an error, so I decide first to roll back to the older (actual) version of studio. Now I can't open the older version, so I can't deactivate the software. Trying to have an offline deactivation, I got only a deactivation ticket an now I need a deactivation certificate. How can I get the deactivation certificate? Can I install rightaway the actual version of studio2024 18.0.1.2259 or schould I install the former version 18.0.0.1013 and then update to the newer version?

emoji
Parents
  • It seems this update contained a virus!! Name: chain.exe or something like that. My Norton antivirus detected it and quarantained it. But Trados doesn't want to start now, tried to reinstall but doesn't work either. Is RWS aware that they've probably infected all users who have downloaded and installed the update?

emoji
  • Well in 20 or more years I've been using Norton, it has never failed me. the exact name of the supposed virus is ChainerHost.exe 

If you, being a known expert, tell me this is a legitimate part of the update package, then it will be the first time Norton failed... But in that case, why was this exe never before included in any update? And while we're "supposing", why isn't the RWS login page loading? and why aren't any downloads available? You'll have to admit this is all very curious as it all occurs simultaneously. Meanwhile I had no other choice than to revert to Trados 2022 to be able to continue working.

emoji
  •  

Chainerhost.exe is nothing new in Trados Studio and has always been part of the installers ever since the original 2009 release of Studio.  It's a sort of helper tool in an installation process that works behind the scenes to make sure all the right settings are passed along to the main installer tool, chainer.exe.  Its job is to handle any special instructions, such as whether the installation should happen quietly (without showing any pop-ups or messages), and then it hands these instructions over to chainer.exe, which actually installs the software.

Well in 20 or more years I've been using Norton, it has never failed me

You're very lucky then!  It can happen: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100222230832EN

why isn't the RWS login page loading? and why aren't any downloads available?

I'm not sure... there is work going on this weekend but none of it affects our users, only our internal systems.  I just logged into my RWS account using a non-RWS or SDL address and it's fine.  In fact I can do this using my RWS and SDL email too so don't see any problems here at all.

I have seen a few posts in the last day or two from users who seemed to have problems related to their anti-virus preventing Google Chrome from working correctly and this had the knock on effect of preventing them from logging into the RWS accounts as this was using Chrome too.  Maybe this is the same problem for you?  Worth checking in case you have broken that 20-year run of good fortune!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi Paul & all,

Thanks a lot for pointing that out, at least now I'm sure ChainerHost isn't malware. I'll definitely inform Norton of this, since in the end, I'm paying them to protect my system, and not to be falsely informed. It is odd though that Norton never reacted adversely on any previous versions (and I've been using Trados since way back, - I was working in Trados when the twin towers got hit, goes to show). It didn't react either when I've reinstalled Studio 2022 or with the initial installation of 2024. Only with the update. 

Anyway, I was able to access the login page again yesterday in the afternoon, and to download 2024 again, without having changed anything on my side, go figure that out… I'm rather keen to reinstall it, but since I have plenty of work for the moment, I prefer to give caution priority to curiousness, and will do so on a later date.

I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Thanks again for your appreciated answers,

Kind regards,

Francis

emoji
  • As promised, here's an update on the situation. Do I've downloaded and installed Studio 2024 again. No reaction of Norton whatsoever and a nice and smooth installation. So that went fine, but then starting it gave an error to which I've found an answer you provided in another thread (about deleting the TradosStudio folder in the appData>roaming folder for which I dearly thank you) and Studio 2024 was working just fine again (sigh of relief).

After completing 3 small orders, and with nothing better to do, i decided to install the update to version 18.0.1.2259. As expected, here again Norton Antivirus flagged ChainerHost ! So this time I created an exception in Norton, after which the installation executed without any other issues. So I happily started translating again as new orders came in the mailbox... but now Studio every once in a while just shuts down, totally randomly and for no apparent reason at all. When it happens I can simply restart Studio and Studio even tells me it found a more recent version of the file I was working on, but still the phenomenon is annoying. Should I create another thread for this?

I'm seriously thinking of reinstalling version 2024 again and not updating to 18.0.1.2259 as it seems to bring me more trouble than solutions.

emoji
  • Strange as it is, my Norton 360 hast not moaned about this update on none of my machines (Dell Aurora R16 desktop and Dell XPS13 as laptop). Both run German Windows 11 23H2. The Trados Studio version 18.0.1.2259 behaves very stable here. I use Trados Studio only with the English GUI. Both computers are only used for work, so no games are installed here. I also do not use any PC optimizing software and many other "useful" apps, as from my experience they do more harm than they help. I also do not have many plugins in Studio. Could you please check your accompanying software and isolate it as a possible trouble maker?

emoji
  • I only use the English interface too, as for plug-ins, only Antidote advanced spellchecker (which I've been using for years, I didn't even bother to allow the new language weaver and the AI-thing that come with the package. As for games, I wouldn't install those even if I had the time. 

emoji
  •   

Updating from within Studio or running the installer for CU1 gives the same result because the installer files always install the full version. 
    You may therefore simply close Studio and then run the 18.0.1.2259 installer. 

emoji
  • Hi Walter,

That's what i did. But I first wanted to know if the plain 2024 version would install without problems, which it did. It is when I installed the update that Norton gave the ChainerHost flagging, (which it has never done in any previous version) and only after creating an exception for ChainerHost the installation of the 18.01 update continued and installed apparently correctly. But now when working with this version, it just closes randomly and I have to restart. One might say that this could make a good excuse to go have a cup of coffee, but after 5 or 6 times that makes a lot of cafeïne...

emoji
  • Hi Walter,

That's what i did. But I first wanted to know if the plain 2024 version would install without problems, which it did. It is when I installed the update that Norton gave the ChainerHost flagging, (which it has never done in any previous version) and only after creating an exception for ChainerHost the installation of the 18.01 update continued and installed apparently correctly. But now when working with this version, it just closes randomly and I have to restart. One might say that this could make a good excuse to go have a cup of coffee, but after 5 or 6 times that makes a lot of cafeïne...

emoji
Children
No Data