When will the plugin for DeepL support glossary?

DeepL added glossary support in their API sometimes in the last year or so.  See https://www.deepl.com/docs-api/managing-glossaries/

When could we expect the plugin to support that option, including the ability to manage the upload/download/deletion of glossaries since they are different from the one used in the Web page.

Thanks.

emoji
Parents
  • As I’ve mentioned many times in this forum. We opensourced the code for the DeepL plugin and so any developer could do this.

But seeing as nobody else seems interested in doing it we’ll probably pick this up some time after the next release of Tradon Studio 2022 is out. We simply don’t have the available resource to look at this until then.

emoji
  • Not everyone out there is a developer who knows how to code a Trados plugin, so it's not that we are not interested in doing it, it's that we are not professional software developers, and need to spend more of our time on the language side of things than the coding side of things. I can read an API documentation, but it doesnt mean I know how to code this.

This said, I can understand the resource limitation.  There is just an expectation that SDL will pick up that work when the last plugin version is "By Trados AppStore Team" , but maybe that doesnt necessarily mean it was done by SDL??

My post was merely to remind whoever is willing to update that plugin that the feature existed in API now, as it wasnt the case last year if my memory is correct.

emoji
  • Of course.  Although I personally emailed over two thousand users who claim to be developed this week with details of how to upgrade their plugins for Trados Studio 2022, so there must be at least a few out there!

I wasn't picking on you though Michel.  The functionality is there, and we would have liked to have done this already but things just get in the way.  We have so many plugins that we are responsible for now that maintaining them all means we can't do things from one day to the next as we could in the "old" days.

There is just an expectation that SDL will pick up that work when the last plugin version is "By Trados AppStore Team" , but maybe that doesnt necessarily mean it was done by SDL??

Yes, it was done by the Trados AppStore Team... who are RWS.  SDL is no more!

emoji
  • Thank you Paul.   I am looking forward to when the RWS team has the time to work on this.   Let's make sure the sentiment analysis parser of this forum agrees that we ended this discussion on a positive note!

We do have a dev Team in our company that can help with tooling for translation.  They are very busy with many other things we ask them to do for us, but I will get their opinion on how hard it is to work on one of these plugins on GitHub.    There is another plugin we are really trying to make work for us, it's the GoogleCloud_n_Glossary for Studio 2019, but that one is not opensource and we are trying to see with the developer why it's not working for us (it forgets its credential every time you reopen the project or start from a template).  In the end, we may end up coding this ourselves or asking someone to do that for us.  Perhaps there is a way to start from the latest MT Enhanced Plugin for Studio 2021 and see if we could down port it to support Studio 2019, which is the version we must use.  I know that one is open sourced.  Do you, by any chance, know why the support for the Google Advanced API (v3) was not brought to the plugin version for Studio 2019?  Was there a technical limitation?

emoji
  • Thank you Paul.   I am looking forward to when the RWS team has the time to work on this.   Let's make sure the sentiment analysis parser of this forum agrees that we ended this discussion on a positive note!

We do have a dev Team in our company that can help with tooling for translation.  They are very busy with many other things we ask them to do for us, but I will get their opinion on how hard it is to work on one of these plugins on GitHub.    There is another plugin we are really trying to make work for us, it's the GoogleCloud_n_Glossary for Studio 2019, but that one is not opensource and we are trying to see with the developer why it's not working for us (it forgets its credential every time you reopen the project or start from a template).  In the end, we may end up coding this ourselves or asking someone to do that for us.  Perhaps there is a way to start from the latest MT Enhanced Plugin for Studio 2021 and see if we could down port it to support Studio 2019, which is the version we must use.  I know that one is open sourced.  Do you, by any chance, know why the support for the Google Advanced API (v3) was not brought to the plugin version for Studio 2019?  Was there a technical limitation?

emoji
Children