Post-Edit Compare is a tool designed to report translation modifications during the post-edit phases of a translation workflow.
The tool works by comparing two versions of the same SDLXLIFF file (before and after changes were applied); the files with changes are highlighted and all modifications are included in a detailed comparison report.
The comparison report is formatted in a way that simplifies the understanding of what changes were applied from one version of the file to the other, along with a full break down of the modifications and related cost analysis.
Post-Edit Versions is fully integrated with SDL Trados Studio 2014, represented as a 'view' from the application interface. It includes functionality that allows users to create and maintain versions of the SDL project that can be later passed to Post-Edit Compare to generate the comparison reports.
To compare the project files, you simply select two project versions and choose Compare with Post-Edit Compare to generate a comparison report; make reference to the video below:
- Identify quickly and keep track of the modified files by comparing the (before & after) folder directories
- Create comparison reports that identify clearly the changes applied to the translations (and segment properties) of the files in a translation workflow.
- Report an overview and full break down of the cost analysis related to the translation modifications.
- Customize how the differences are highlighted in the comparison reports
- Provides full support for SDLXLIFF files through the integration of the SDL Trados Studio APIs
- The plugin 'Post-Edit Versions' is fully integrated with SDL Trados Studio 2014 which adds a level of project version control
- Maintain comparison reports as a permanent record of the changes applied during each stage of the translation workflow.
The following is a list of the minimum technical requirements
- SDL Trados Studio 2009/2011/2014 CU2
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5 SP1+
Post-Edit Compare was originally developed by Patrick Hartnett but today it's maintained by the SDL AppStore Team. All your support questions or your feedback/suggestions to better understand how we can improve the next releases should be posted in the AppStore Forum.
A very interesting article (Solving the Post Edit puzzle) written by Paul Filkin of SDL explains in some detail the considerations to take into account when analyzing Post-Edit modifications and the benefits of using Post-Edit Compare to solve/automate this.
There is a help guide available for the application which you can download from the link below:
Download the zipfile to your desktop and then unzip it. Double click the PostEditCompare.chm file to start: