Wordlight is a plugin for Trados Studio 2019 and Trados Studio 2021, that provides features for highlighting selected text in the editor with a chosen colour.
The highlight formatting is persisted in all target files but only used in compatible formats that support this feature, such as Word and PDF when generating the target native file. It's important to understand this and ensure you remove the highlighting before creating target files where it's not supported to avoid unwanted complications in the native application.
- Download the Wordlight plugin to your local drive
- Double click on the plugin to launch the SDL Plugin Installer and complete the installation, selecting the supported versions of SDL Trados Studio.
The Wordlight plugin has as number of keyboard shortcut actions that you can adapt to fit your needs at any time.
- Go to and select
- Locate the row containing the action for which you want to create or edit the shortcut.
- Select the cell in the Shortcut column (where the current keyboard shortcut is displayed, if one exists).
- Press the key, or combination of keys, that you want to use for the shortcut. The key combination appears in the Shortcut column.
Note: Shift+F10 and Ctrl+Shift+F10 are reserved for internal use and cannot be assigned as shortcut keys. Similarly, single keys such as the numbers on your keypad cannot be assigned due to some limitations.
- Click outside the row you just edited. SDL Trados Studio checks whether the new shortcut is already in use. If the shortcut is already in use, the entire row is highlighted in red and you must remove or edit the shortcut.
- Select OK to save the shortcut and close the Options dialog.
Apply highlight formatting to the selected text or the entire target segment or segments
- Open a document in the editor.
- Select text in the target segments or optionally select the segment row (or multiple rows)
- Click on the Highlight Word button from the Wordlight group in the Home ribbon.
Note: If you have selected the segment row, then the highlight formatting will be applied on the entire target segment.
Change highlight color
- Click on the bottom section of the Highlight Word button from the Wordlight group in the Home ribbon; near the dropdown arrow.
Note: The color selection window is displayed.
- Select the highlight color by moving mouse over the colored block and then left mouse click.
Clear highlight formatting
There are few options available to clear the highlight formatting that is added by Wordlight. Choose from the following actions depending on the required usage:
- Clear highlight formatting from filtered segments
- Clear highlight formatting from selected segments
- Clear highlight formatting from selected text
Invalid formatting selection
Currently it is not possible to apply highlight formatting on text where only part of a formatting tag pair is within the selection range, which would inevitably create an invalid xml hierarchy structure.
Target segment with selection
This is a <cf>simple</cf> test
Note: only part of the existing formatting (e.g. the formatting closing tag </cf>) is within the selection range.