How to compare human translation vs MT?

Hi.

I'm reviewing files by multiple translators and some are submitting mix of MT results.

What I would like to do is:

1. create a version of XLIFF with target populated with MT results.

2. Run a comparision of XLIFF created above vs. XLIFF submitted by a translator

3. Generate a track-change style report that shows revisions to MT translator made if possible. If not, a match percentage of the two targets (MT vs human) would be helpful.

This is what I've tried, but failed.

I tried creating two projects in Trados using the same source file.

Populated Project 1 with MT results.

Project 2 contains the submission by human translator.

Tried to run SDLXLIFFCompare, but I'm getting this error.

Error message in Trados Studio indicating the inability to locate the corresponding file for an export operation, with file paths shown.

The comparison doesn't need to be within Trados.

If there's a way to get track-change style comparison or match percentage, I can export targets to Excel file, but basic Excel functions can only check if two columns are a match or not.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 8:44 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
Parents
  •  

I'd use Post-Edit Compare.

1. when you have your project for a translator save it as the baseline version
    2. clear the translations and pretranslate with MT - save as a new version
    3. now compare the versions by selecting them both and click on compare

Very simple to manage and will give you track-change style comparson AND match percentage.

emoji
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try it.

Just one question, wouldn't this approach make MT the 'after' version so to speak.

I was hoping to use MT as the baseline version if possible.

If I save the submitted translation to a temporary TM, clear target, apply MT (pretranslate using MT, deactivating temp TM), save MT as a baseline version, then repopulate using the submitted version (pretranslate with TM, deactivate MT)... would i get the result I'm looking for?

Or Post-Edit Compare allow me to choose which version to use as baseline?

emoji
  •  

I was thinking in terms of how you would logically do this in an easy way based on my interpretation of what you advised so far.  If you already have projects created for the translators and they have worked on it then I would set this as the baseline and then do as I suggested above.

If I have not sent the projects out yet then I could do the opposite and save an MT as the baseline, then clear the translations and do whatever prep I normally do prior to sending files out for translation and save that as version #2, then get the translations back and save as version #3.  I can now compare any of the versions I like all in one simple UI.

The management of the files is a lot easier this way in my opinion... for example, using the suggested process I already made:

One Studio project, three versions.  I can compare any versions I like and I can also restore any version as the active project that I like.

It can do, but it's less automated as it typically takes the earliest one first.  But if you do the MT first and then send out for translation then you have it automatically.  If you don't then you can select the folders for the version you want to use in the UI for the compare:

In my example project this would get me version 1 compared with version 3 like this:

https://community.rws.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/92/7144.Reports.20221108T152307.html

Or version 3 compared with version 1 like this:

https://community.rws.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/92/4214.Reports.20221108T155027.html

emoji
  •  

I was thinking in terms of how you would logically do this in an easy way based on my interpretation of what you advised so far.  If you already have projects created for the translators and they have worked on it then I would set this as the baseline and then do as I suggested above.

If I have not sent the projects out yet then I could do the opposite and save an MT as the baseline, then clear the translations and do whatever prep I normally do prior to sending files out for translation and save that as version #2, then get the translations back and save as version #3.  I can now compare any of the versions I like all in one simple UI.

The management of the files is a lot easier this way in my opinion... for example, using the suggested process I already made:

One Studio project, three versions.  I can compare any versions I like and I can also restore any version as the active project that I like.

It can do, but it's less automated as it typically takes the earliest one first.  But if you do the MT first and then send out for translation then you have it automatically.  If you don't then you can select the folders for the version you want to use in the UI for the compare:

In my example project this would get me version 1 compared with version 3 like this:

https://community.rws.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/92/7144.Reports.20221108T152307.html

Or version 3 compared with version 1 like this:

https://community.rws.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/92/4214.Reports.20221108T155027.html

emoji
Children
No Data