How to create and edit a dictionary to be used with NMT or AdaptiveMT

Why is the dictionary field in the screenshot below blank and apparently there is no way to add a dictionary?

It is kind of redicuolous how this feature, which was what AdaptiveMT was supposed to be, has been rebranded, for what sinsiter reason I do not know....

Best,

Jerel

typo
[edited by: Jerel R. Pulicicchio at 8:24 AM (GMT 0) on 14 Nov 2021]
Parents
  • Why is the dictionary field in the screenshot below blank and apparently there is no way to add a dictionary?

The dictionary field here requires you to have the appropriate account as the dictionaries will be your Language Weaver account here:

Screenshot of Trados Studio's Language Weaver settings showing an empty dictionary list with a 'Create Dictionary' button, indicating no available dictionaries for the user.

These dictionaries are not related to MultiTerm, or to Trados Live Terminology.  They are specifically created for use with Language Weaver.

I looked at your account and you have "Trados Advanced" which gives you 30 million chars... compared to 7.2 million for the free.  But still no access to dictionaries.  So that's why you cannot get this.

It is kind of redicuolous how this feature, which was what AdaptiveMT was supposed to be, has been rebranded, for what sinsiter reason I do not know....

It's actually not the same thing at all.  We don't have AdaptiveMT any more, at least not in the way it used to be available with the old SMT engines.  When we moved to NMT this capability was lost, but the quality of the machine translation overall was hugely improved and to some extent negated the need for Adaptive.  The use of dictionaries does a good job of providing the sort of customisation needed, but you currently need a Language Weaver Enterprise account to have access to them.

I do expect to see some more change around all of this as we go forward, but I hope this explains to you why you see what you do today?

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:02 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Why is the dictionary field in the screenshot below blank and apparently there is no way to add a dictionary?

The dictionary field here requires you to have the appropriate account as the dictionaries will be your Language Weaver account here:

Screenshot of Trados Studio's Language Weaver settings showing an empty dictionary list with a 'Create Dictionary' button, indicating no available dictionaries for the user.

These dictionaries are not related to MultiTerm, or to Trados Live Terminology.  They are specifically created for use with Language Weaver.

I looked at your account and you have "Trados Advanced" which gives you 30 million chars... compared to 7.2 million for the free.  But still no access to dictionaries.  So that's why you cannot get this.

It's actually not the same thing at all.  We don't have AdaptiveMT any more, at least not in the way it used to be available with the old SMT engines.  When we moved to NMT this capability was lost, but the quality of the machine translation overall was hugely improved and to some extent negated the need for Adaptive.  The use of dictionaries does a good job of providing the sort of customisation needed, but you currently need a Language Weaver Enterprise account to have access to them.

I do expect to see some more change around all of this as we go forward, but I hope this explains to you why you see what you do today?

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:02 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
Children
No Data