How can I make Trados Studio break the text before every instance of a particular word?

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but how can I make Studio break before every instance of the word wherein?

So, this:

The current invention relates to a BLAH BLAH BLAH suited for BLAH BLAH BLAH, wherein said BLAH BLAH BLAH is a BLAH BLAH BLAH, said BLAH BLAH BLAH comprising a BLAH BLAH BLAH, a BLAH BLAH BLAH and a BLAH BLAH BLAH, wherein said BLAH BLAH BLAH is sandwiched between said BLAH BLAH BLAH and said BLAH BLAH BLAH, wherein said BLAH BLAH BLAH is comprised of two superimposed BLAH BLAH BLAHs, wherein each of said BLAH BLAH BLAH has a weight between 50 to 100 g/m2 and said BLAH BLAH BLAH has a total weight of between 250 and 350 g/m2 as measured by EN 9073-1:1992.

Becomes this:

(1) The current invention relates to a BLAH BLAH BLAH suited for BLAH BLAH BLAH,

(2) wherein said BLAH BLAH BLAH is a BLAH BLAH BLAH, said BLAH BLAH BLAH comprising a BLAH BLAH BLAH, a BLAH BLAH BLAH and a BLAH BLAH BLAH,

(3) wherein said BLAH BLAH BLAH is sandwiched between said BLAH BLAH BLAH and said BLAH BLAH BLAH,

(4) wherein said BLAH BLAH BLAH is comprised of two superimposed BLAH BLAH BLAHs,

(5) wherein each of said BLAH BLAH BLAH has a weight between 50 to 100 g/m2 and said BLAH BLAH BLAH has a total weight of between 250 and 350 g/m2 as measured by EN 9073-1:1992.

Trados Studio segmentation rules settings window with a new rule being added for the word 'wherein' to create a break before it.

Michael

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 4:43 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • I need to add the custom seg rules to the source language, right? Not to the target language? Or both?

Why is the target language even accessible when adding a seg rule, since Studio TMs are mono-directional?

Think about alignment.  When aligning files you may have different rules for each language, or even because of the way the files you are aligning have been authored.

It might just be me, but I think the whole experience around quickly creating a new custom segmentation rule could be greatly improved.

Not just you... I've had this on my wishlist for the appstore team for some years but we can't get to it!!  This year, once 2022 stuff is out the way, I plan to make this a priority as I am also fed up with the effort involved in creating and testing segmentation rules.

(1) For example, a live preview of what your rule will actually end up doing in the segmentation rule adding dialogue would be super useful. 

Yep... already on my list.

(2) Also, it would be really nice if seg rule settings weren't tied to TMs, but instead were just a setting you could activate/edit. 

They are already something you can manage using Language Resource Templates.  The problem is Language Resources are also not very friendly so we built the ApplyTM Template app a year or so ago to make it easier to use by being able to apply them to multiple TMs in one go whenever you like.  But even this app works in a bit of a cack-handed way and could do with being improved for usability.  But it does work!

I  have other ideas around a segmentation plugin, so keep your eyes open for this one when we release.  No timelines yet, but I'll be bitterly disappointed if we hit 2023 and still didn't manage to get to it!

emoji