Confirming segment ADDS new entry instead OVERWRITING the old one in the TM

Hi, we are experiencing quite strange behaviour since quite a time. When cleaning files in Studio  the entries in the TM gets duplicated. And I am sure we have the right settings chosen.

My problem NOW is, that when I change a segment and save it using CTRL+Add or CTRL+ALT+ENTER, Studio creates a new entry.

One by one:

I have 2 TMs, one for the HMI and one for the manuals.

I change the translation and I get this:

Strange enough, the old translation moves to the second row, being saved in the othe translation memory (which is not activated for updating).

As we have had some problems with duplicated entries, we always use the setting for overwriting the entries, not the one merging.

As far as I can seen, it seems to happen, when the creator of the entry is different to the one changing and saving it.
Any idea what is happening here? This is why I don't youse the merge option as I was afraid this had caused this behaviour in the past.

I use the latest update of Studio2021.

Thnx

Burim

Parents Reply
  • Hi

Thank you for your clear explanation.
    However one point i want to establish is that file formats such as Excel vs something else has absolute no impact on how TM's are being updated.
    Your colleague may have been able to reproduce the issue, but it would be been down to local settings of some description.

Your shortcuts intrigued me as there is a difference between updating TM on the fly using the supported short cuts

Trados Studio screenshot showing dropdown menu with options like 'Copy Source to Target', 'Confirm and Move to Next Segment', and keyboard shortcuts.

Vs Batch Task update which does the entire project/file

Trados Studio settings screenshot with options for Translation Memory Updates, including 'Merge segments', 'Add new translation', and 'Overwrite existing translation units'.

Are you still getting the problem of duplicates? If yes, Id be more than happy to help further

Lydia

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:23 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
Children