When copying text containing tags and pasting it to another appllication (e.g. Excel) the tags are missing from the text

PROBLEM:

When I need to copy text containing tags from Trados Studio into another application (e.g. into an Excel document for translation evaluation reports) the tags are missing from the pasted text.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open a file containing tags.

2. Copy a segment conatining tags.

3. Open Notepad application.

4. Paste the copied text into the Notepad document.

EXPECTED RESULT:

The pasted text contains the tags.

CURRENT (ERRATIC) RESULT:

The tags are missing from the pasted text.

FEATURE REQUEST:

Please make it an option for copied text containing tags to be pasted into other applications so that the tags appear in the pasted text too.

emoji
Parents Reply
  • Paul, I have not seen this written anywhere, it was just my user assumption that I can copy and paste plain text that is visible on the screen from a text editing application to another text editing application. In case I could not copy a plain text from Word and paste to any other text editing application as plain text, I would consider it as a bug of Word (without reading any user manuals).

When I export an XLIFF for external review, I can see numbers ("<30>") instead of actual tag content ("<b>"):

(I searched Help Topics for how to include original tag content into the external review file, but have not found anything.)

I think it would be much more reasonable and easier for the user to have an option to be able to copy any visible text containing tags from the editor and paste it to another text editing application as plain text without any file export procedre or plug-in.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:08 PM (GMT 0) on 1 Mar 2024]
Children