Add footnote tag missing from source?

I'm relatively new to Trados Studio and am working on a book with a lot of footnotes. I've just finished revised one chapter, and there were four or five footnotes missing. The text of the footnotes exists in the translation memory & sdlxliff file, but the tag is missing from both the source and the target. I'm on the next chapter and noticed a missing tag on the first page. Is it possible to add a new footnote tag to the source segment (and of course the translation segment)? I thought this could be done from the QuickInsert menu, but the tags are all greyed out when working in this segment.

I hope I'm just missing something. Thanks!

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • To clarify: in the new project, I adopted the project settings from the original project. I've now also tried adding the sample file in the original project and again, it worked fine.

I created another sample file in Word using "Save a copy" then deleting the rest of the chapter (attached here), and the tag does not appear.

emoji
  • hmm...
    version2017

Screenshot of Trados Studio 2017 showing a translation project with a warning about footnote issues in a document titled 'Footnote trouble 2.docx'.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:48 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • I created another sample file in Word using "Save a copy" then deleting the rest of the chapter (attached here), and the tag does not appear.

I also tested your file and get this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing a Word document with footnotes. The left side displays text in German with footnote markers, and the right side shows the Russian translation with corresponding footnote markers.

Then the target file correctly places the footnotes:

t_Footnote trouble 2.docx

It's hard to know what your problem is.  Can you share a project that doesn't work properly?  Just zip up the folder with your project files in it and attach to here.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:49 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • Good idea. Unfortunately I can't share the original project where the problem occurs due to copyright issues, and for some reason am unable to reproduce the problem in a sample file. It seems strange that the FN appears correctly in the target file when the tag does not appear in the editor... I'll just hope that it does the same with the full chapter when the time comes, and now I'll know what to look for in the verification process as well.

Thank you both for your help!!

emoji