Inability to copy Trados project folders

Hello All,

Fall greetings!

I just bought a beautiful new HP Spectre 360 with Windows 11, and installed Trados Studio 2021.

I have been using Trados Studio since it came out, but now I am experiencing  big problems that I have never seen before.

We have lost 2 hours of work twice, and we are afraid we could lose even more work.

My business is growing and, I was considering upgrading to Trados Professional, but this kind system instability is scary, and makes me think I have to abadon all the investments I and my team members have made in Trados knowledge and go over to one of Trados' competitors which are know for their more reliable system architecture.

So, I create a project named 4941 in this folder:
C:\....\4941\Studio Main\
It creates the project folder:
C:\....\4941\Studio Main\4941
the usual subfolders
\en-US
\ru-RU
\Reports
\Tm
and the project file 4941.sdlproj

In my workflow, I create a copy of the project in another folder for the editing stage (I will share my edits later with the translator):
C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\
All the sub-folders are the same.

Now it gets WEIRD.

I add the project in C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\4941
to the Project list in Trados (no other projects open in Trados)

I work in this project, so the .sdlxliff file should be here:
 C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\4941\en-US\
but all the changes are NOT saved in this project.
They are saved in the original project here:
C:\....\4941\Studio Main\4941\en-US

You can see the result in the screenshot:

Two file explorer windows open showing Trados Studio project folders. Left window has project files in 'Studio Main' folder, right window in 'Editor Tom' folder.

So when I finalize the project in the main project folder, my edits are also all accepted in  C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\4941\en-US\, and I cannot share them with my translator.

I made a mistake and did not accept changes before finalizing.  All my changes were lost AND the TM was not updated.

This has caused **Major** problems It appeared all my edits were not just accepted but LOST when I tried to open the file and then finalized in the main project folder.

Two hours of work was lost a few weeks ago and again last week.

In other cases, changes have been lost, and the files have had all content erased (good thing we had a solid TM that we could use to re-populate the file).

My translator partners are having files and projects stored in obcsure /temp directories they did not choose (which trying to just open a project without opening Trados first)

AND today, when a partner tried to back up his project folder, he got this message about the inability to copy the .sdlproj file:

File explorer window showing Trados Studio project subfolders with a warning message about inability to copy the .sdlproj file.

One other strange thing is that Trados now saves the autosave files here:
C:\Users\tfenn\OneDrive\Documents\Studio 2021\AutoSave
OneDrive warned me every 5 minutes when the temp .sdlxliff file is deleted (Until I turned off the warning)

I have added all the possible folders to my Norton Scan Exceptions list:
C:\Users....\AppData\Local\Temp\SDLTempFileRegen
C:\Users....\AppData\Local\SDL
C:\Users....\AppData\Roaming\SDL
C:\Users....\OneDrive\Documents\SDL
C:\Users....\OneDrive\Documents\Studio 2021
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL
C:\Program Data\SDL

I never had this problem before on my old Studio 2021 installation on Windows 10.

What gives? Any ideas?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 8:11 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji