I installed Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack. Can't see any changes to Studio. Can't open TTX file.

Please help.

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • Either it's inconspicuous in the scheme of things or it wasn't there last time I checked, because I didn't notice it. And that was after I installed the thing, so obviously I would have looked for something that had changed. Also it prevented me from doing what I needed to do and I had to find a different way. I seem to be spending a quite a lot of extra time on things that "should" work but don't work. I can't say I'm a happy user of Trados Studio. And it's not like I have a choice either. Most of my work comes in that format so I'm stuck with it. I really wish it just worked, especially since I keep paying for the upgrades Joy

emoji
  •  

This would have always worked this way, at least for as long as this feature has been delivered as an app.  Filetypes that are not part of the product, and TTX is not, will always appear in the "Additional Filetypes Exist" dialogue.  You'll find this if you install any additional filetypes from the appstore.

When these legacy filetypes were part of the product you would never have seen this because they were out of the box but once all this old technology was removed they become like any other additional filetype deployed outside of the Studio install.

Interestingly I just checked and noted it is mentioned in this blog from August 2020 when this change was made: https://multifarious.filkin.com/2020/08/15/some-you-win-some-you-lose  And that blog is referred to in the app documentation: https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/102?tab=documentation

But I do agree with you... we should have documented this in a more obvious way for any users who are not familiar with how Trados Studio works.  Now you have brought this up, and I haven't actually heard anyone mention this before, I'm even more glad that the "Additional Filetypes" concept has been removed in 2024.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji