TM Segment Removal Inquiry

I have a question regarding TMs, is it possible to delete specific segments from the TM? I have identified some entries that need to be removed. Could you please advise on the process for deleting these segments?

emoji
  • Hello,

Yes, it is indeed possible to delete specific segments from the Translation Memory (TM) in Trados Studio. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

Step 1: Open the TM in the Translation Memories view.

Step 2: Select the first translation unit you want to delete by clicking on its segment number.

Step 3: Press the Shift key on your keyboard and keep it pressed while you scroll down to the last segment you want to delete, then select it like the first one, by clicking on its segment number. All the segments should now be marked yellow.

Step 4: Right Click on any of the segment numbers from this selection and select 'Mark TU for deletion' from the drop-down list (or use the corresponding command from the Home tab, Save group).

Step 5: All segments should then be marked for deletion and you only have to commit the changes (Home > Save > Commit Changes).

Please note that you are only able to delete 100 translation units at once using these steps. But you can repeat the process as many times as needed.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • A couple of further points...

Firstly, if you're working on an open translation memory in Translation Memories views, as described above, you can also select and highlight any individual segments that are visible in the window by holding down the ctrl key then clicking on just the individual segment numbers you want to delete, if there's not a continuous list that you wish to delete. You can also use the Search Details for Source and/or Target to call up all instances of a given word, term or phrase.

Secondly, if you're working in an open file and can see the segment/s you wish to delete, in the Translation Results window OR the Concordance Search window, you can delete the segment/s by right-clicking and then selecting 'Delete Translation Unit' from the dropdown list OR you can also just left click the translation segment and hit Ctrl+Del on your keyboard to delete the one unit.

I hope this extra info is useful to you.

All the best,

Ali Smiley

"Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub"

emoji