We need a Studio Troubleshooting Guide for your users (not computer scientist!)

For your consideration, a suggestion for your RWS team:

It would be beneficial to create and publish a Studio Troubleshooting Guide containing simple procedures for solving recurring problems. The community forum still carries messages from seven years ago! Please clean up this mess and publish a link where we can quickly find solutions to our problems, at least the most common ones.

The current state of the multiple forums is chaotic, and locating up-to-date solutions is akin to searching for a needle in a haystack.

Of all the specialized program help resources I've had to work with throughout my career, those of Trados Studio are by far the most tedious to consult. The information is not presented in a concise manner, and there is no integration of the extensive data. It is scattered across various channels, including newsgroups, the community, and multiple forums.  Some posts are over ten years old and no longer reflect current practices. This is an inefficient use of resources.

It is imperative that you implement a more effective information integration strategy, and I hope my request is not overlooked and that your users, including myself, can finally access a support system and resources library worthy of RWS.

Sincerely,

Helene

Flowchart with humorous troubleshooting steps. Starts with 'Is it broke??' and options like 'Did you mess with it?' leading to 'You idiot!!' and 'Can you blame someone else?'. Ends with 'NO PROBLEM' or 'YOU ARE SCREWED'.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 6:34 PM (GMT 1) on 28 Jun 2024]
emoji
Parents
  •  

Have you used the Gateway?

https://gateway.sdl.com/

All the knowledgebase articles are in here.

In the community here it's simple to use the search and then ask for recent results only... or within a variety of others sources to help narrow things down:

Screenshot of RWS Community search results showing 2,858 results for 'Idiots guide to troubleshooting' with a post highlighted titled 'We need a Studio Troubleshooting Guide for your users'.

I can guarantee you that if we spent time creating a troubleshooting guide more people would complain about two things (at least):

1. it contained the wrong info and wasn't helpful for them at all
    2. that they could not find the guide!

The forums themselves are organised really well now compared to the way this occurred in the past.  We do have a lot of products, but I think everyone should know what product they use and easily find the right place to post a question if they look:

Screenshot of RWS Community website showing a dropdown menu with product categories including Trados Portfolio, Translation Management, Tridion portfolio, and Language Weaver Solutions.

If you don't know what some of the products are you clearly don't use them and shouldn't post in there!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 5:12 PM (GMT 1) on 24 Jul 2024]
  •  

Have you used the Gateway?

https://gateway.sdl.com/

All the knowledgebase articles are in here.

In the community here it's simple to use the search and then ask for recent results only... or within a variety of others sources to help narrow things down:

Screenshot of RWS Community search results showing 2,858 results for 'Idiots guide to troubleshooting' with a post highlighted titled 'We need a Studio Troubleshooting Guide for your users'.

I can guarantee you that if we spent time creating a troubleshooting guide more people would complain about two things (at least):

1. it contained the wrong info and wasn't helpful for them at all
    2. that they could not find the guide!

The forums themselves are organised really well now compared to the way this occurred in the past.  We do have a lot of products, but I think everyone should know what product they use and easily find the right place to post a question if they look:

Screenshot of RWS Community website showing a dropdown menu with product categories including Trados Portfolio, Translation Management, Tridion portfolio, and Language Weaver Solutions.

If you don't know what some of the products are you clearly don't use them and shouldn't post in there!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 5:12 PM (GMT 1) on 24 Jul 2024]
Children
No Data