Different source files for different target languages

Hi everyone,

we have the following scenario in our company:

Our source language is German and we are working with XML files that are translated into 9 target languages. Usually, every source file needs to be translated into every target language, so we are working in one single Studio project. Every member of my team accesses the projects via GroupShare.

In the future, this process will have to change because the nature of our source files will change. Due to a technical change, the source files will have a defined source and target language.

Is there an option to still use one project for this scenario where we do not have multiple copies of files in every target language but instead Trados directly matches the source files to the different target languages using the data in the file?

Any other scenario (having to create different projects for each target language) would create a massive workload for us.

As far as I know, memoQ, for example, is able to differentiate between different source files for different target languages.

Thanks in advance for your help!

emoji
Parents Reply
  • Hi Lydia, thanks for your reply. As I stated in my question, we are using XML files.

Multilingual XML Files are not an option for us. Our future PIM system will create one single file per target language (for example filename_de-de_fr-fr.xml to be translated from German into French), not a multilingual XML file. And even if we had a multilingual XML file, that would mean we would only be able to generate the target file once all languages are complete. This also does not suit our workflow as my translators independently have to create their target files.

Do I understand you correctly that there currently is no option available in Trados to have a file, which should only be translated into one of the target languages of a project, replicated into only said target language? Thanks again for clarifying. This would sadly mean that our company might have to look into other CAT solutions.

emoji
Children