Trados Studio 2022 - Definitely a problematic "Find & Replace" window!

The "Find & Replace" window is definitely a big problem in Trados Studio version 2022: having resolved the "always on top" issue, now I have two more issues:

1) in Studio version 2021 for years I have been using Ctrl+H to open this window in the full version (Find AND Replace, and not only Find, which is smaller), but in 2022 there is no way of obtaining this.
Whatever I click - Ctrl+F or Ctrl+F - I always obtain the small version of the window.

Screenshot of Trados Studio's 'Find and Replace' window showing only the 'Find' tab active with an empty 'Find what:' field.

while I would like to get the full window when I use Ctrl+H, as I've done for years:

Screenshot of Trados Studio's 'Find and Replace' window with the 'Replace' tab active, displaying empty 'Find what:' and 'Replace with:' fields.

2) When the "Replace with" space is filled, and I have done some work already, I had the option to select previous translations by using the dropwodn menu on the right side of this space, but now it is impossible to use it becuase, when I click on the right side of the bar I get only a quick glimpse of the dropdown list, which disappears in less than a second, making it impossible to click on any of the listed items. This is really annoying, it is a normal function that is not working, definitely.

Could these two issues be fixed? I would appreciate this very much. I spent €300 to update from 2021 to 2022 and I am experiencing only worsened functionalities at the moment... this is quite frustrating. I hope someone will help me to resolve these issues quickly!!

Valeria

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 12:26 PM (GMT 1) on 14 Jul 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply Children
  •   

I suppose there are various possible causes for this.. maybe more:

• The operating system might be experiencing instability or corruption, which could prevent the Task Manager from displaying processes
    • If the system is under heavy load, it might struggle to display the information in Task Manager.
      • How much resource do you have available on your computer?
    • Malicious software could interfere with system utilities, including Task Manager.
    • Essential system files might be corrupted, leading to the malfunction of system utilities.
    • Problems with the graphics driver can sometimes prevent the Task Manager from displaying correctly.

I don't believe Trados Studio is the problem here... more likely a system-wide issue.  You could try the obvious for now... might help:

• Restart the Computer: A simple reboot can often resolve temporary issues and restore normal functionality.
    • Check for System Updates: Ensure that your operating system and all drivers are up to date. Sometimes, updates contain fixes for such issues.
    • Run a System File Check:
      • Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
      • Run the command sfc /scannow to check and repair system files.
    • Boot in Safe Mode:
      • Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode to see if the Task Manager behaves normally. If it does, it might indicate a software conflict or a driver issue.
    • Update Graphics Drivers:
      • Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Visit the manufacturer's website for the latest drivers.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  •  

Brilliant, thanks!

Welcome home from your hols... I hope you enjoyed your time off!

Thanks,

Ali Smiley

emoji
  •  

Only brilliant if it helps... I doubt it really does!

Welcome home from your hols... I hope you enjoyed your time off!

Thank you... I did.  First time I have ever taken 3-weeks off in one go.  Can recommend it!!  I think you need the first two just to get work completely out of your system!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • you need the first two just to get work completely out of your system!

No doubt about that! Though when you get back, it can be a bit of a shock to the system!

All the best,

Ali Smiley

emoji
  • Hi Paul, welcome back, and Alison, thank you all but the solutions you are suggesting are a bit too complicated for me...

Since all the problems started after I deleted something to free space in my disk and then installed Studio 2022, I will first take my laptop to my support shop for a global checkup and then will get back to you for more if the problems with Studio 2022 persist. I really hope it is only a system issue at this point, so that I won't bother you anymore! I'll keep you posted! THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP! Love you all!

emoji
  • Hi  

You're very welcome, we all like to help!

All the best,

Ali Smiley

PS: If you'd like to learn more about this or any other aspect of using Trados, you can ask for free training by going here: Ideas for training
    Please click on the link then add a new post explaining what you would like to learn, including details that will help so that others will want to vote for your idea!

emoji
  •  

I corrected the AutoHotkey Script this morning so that the Replace with Ctrl+H works effectively in 2024.  Maybe give it a try and update the scripts you are using?

Valeria Maria Tafel I was testing the "Replace" problem with support in that the Find tab is always active and never the Replace even when clicking Ctrl+H. They could not reproduce this issue. So I revisited…
    By in Trados Studio > 7. AutoHotKey

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  •  

I have just read this message of yours. About one month ago I simply downloaded the 2022 version after using the 2021 version for many years. I did not change anything else, no scripts or whatever. My PC has been checked and it is perfectly working (the operating system, I mean).

Why do I have all these issues?

Today I found a new one: when I open a TM in Studio to make changes in it, it is impossible to copy text from elsewhere and paste it in the search spaces on top of the TM display, I am forced to write any search words directly. No copy and past accepted. This was not an issue with the 2021 version.

And the non-activated Replace window continues... and the dropdown menu in the F&R window does not stay...

I haven't been changing any script, why shouldn't these work? I will download the free 2024 version and see it these problems remain. But after August 15. Thanks for now.

emoji
  •  

Why do I have all these issues?

First thing is that this mostly started because of the issue you have that everyone else does too... the find & replace window stays on top of all applications in 2022 and 2024.  This is a bug in the software and will only be fixed when the development team address it and release a fix as part of an update.

Next thing is that I tried to help you by using an AutoHotKey script that is always running to suppress the find & replace window so that it's only on top when using Trados Studio.  Unfortunately my script had a few side effects:

1. it prevented Ctrl+H from working properly
    2. it prevented you from using the drop down menu to select previously searched for terms

I have subsequently improved the script and the link is here:

RE: Set a window Always On Top 

If you replace the script you use now with this one you'll have a better experience with this.

I will download the free 2024 version and see it these problems remain

Of course, they will remain exactly as mentioned.  Until the development team address the problem in the software the only workaround (that I am aware of) is the script.  Alternatively don't use the script and live with the find & replace window always being on top.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji