Excel files: object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi,

I'm working in Studio 19 with Excel files provided by the customer. The TM works fine but I get an error message when I try to generate the final target file and I don't know why.

I've been looking for answers on various forums and somebody suggested changing the order of the file type filters, but I don't know what to change.

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed!

emoji
  • Hello,

It sounds like you're having trouble generating the final target file in Trados Studio 19 when working with Excel files. The error message you're seeing is often related to the order of the file type filters. Here's how you can adjust the order:

Step 1: Open Trados Studio.

Step 2: Go to "File" > "Options" > "File Types".

Step 3: In the list of file types, find "Microsoft Excel 2007-2013".

Step 4: Use the arrows on the right side to move "Microsoft Excel 2007-2013" to the top of the list.

Step 5: Click "OK" to save your changes.

After changing the order of the filters, try to generate the final target file again. If the problem persists, it might be due to a specific issue with the Excel file itself. In that case, you might want to check if the Excel file contains any special characters, merged cells, or protected cells, as these can sometimes cause issues.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  •  sadly object reference errors occur for many reasons. 
    As you are on an older version, it could be we have addressed your particular use case. But without more context I cant validate. 

In future I would recommend keeping this article in mind because it would be helpful to identify if this is a source file related issue or something that was introduced during the translation process. I take that since this was posted you have moved on?

Lyds

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji