Find & Replace don't work, most of the time

Hi there. Since I upgraded to Studio 2024, I noticed an issue I never had with previous versions. Shortcuts Ctrl+F or Ctrl+H don't work most of the time, and I don't even see these functions on the ribbon. I checked my shortcut list and these two are both assigned. What could possibly be the problem?

emoji
  • Hello,

I understand that you're having trouble with the Find & Replace function in Trados Studio 2024. This could be due to a few reasons, but let's try to troubleshoot this issue step by step:

Step 1: Check if the Find & Replace functions are enabled in your Trados Studio. You can do this by going to the "Edit" menu and see if the "Find" and "Replace" options are available.

Step 2: If the functions are not available, it might be due to a software glitch. Try restarting Trados Studio and see if the issue persists.

Step 3: If the issue still persists, you might want to check if there are any updates available for Trados Studio. You can do this by going to the "Help" menu and selecting "Check for Updates".

Step 4: If the functions are available but the shortcuts are not working, it could be due to your keyboard settings. As mentioned in the context, you can try disabling the function keys on your Windows 10. For Dell laptops, this can be done by pressing the combination of keys Ctrl+Fn+Esc simultaneously. Alternatively, the combination of keys Fn+Esc can work.

Please note that the process might vary depending on the make and model of your laptop. You can refer to your laptop's user manual or the manufacturer's website for more specific instructions.

I hope this helps! If you're still having trouble, please let me know and I'll do my best to assist you further.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  •  

The AI reply is misleading you somewhat.  They should actually be in the Home -> Editing group:

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing the Home tab with Editing group partially hidden behind a vertical bar with a right-facing triangle.

Maybe you have a small screen or the resolution set so you see something like this and missed it?

Close-up of Trados Studio's Home tab highlighting the 'Tell me what you want to do...' search bar and a notification icon with a number 1.

The Editing Group is behind the vertical bar with the little right facing triangle on the right.

As to why it's not working sometimes I'm not sure.  Can you see if it's in your task bar after using the shortcut?

Partial view of Trados Studio window in the taskbar with a 'Find and Replace' dialog box open on the desktop.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:06 PM (GMT 1) on 14 Aug 2024]
  • Thanks Paul. As I said, the problem comes and goes. Right now, there's no Editing menu as you can see below, but I just rebooted, and prior to that, it was there. So when the Editing menu isn't there, I can't do Ctrl+F or Ctrl+H

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing the toolbar with options like Show Translations, Add New Term, Copy Source to Target, but the Editing menu is missing.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:18 PM (GMT 1) on 15 Aug 2024]