Trados switches segments after confirming auto propagation… Why?

Why? Why take me to the farthest segment in the document only to have to manually scroll back again to where I was or to search for it?

I have investigated this particular issue on the forums and Google, and I don't see any complaints. Or is it perhaps just me or a bug? I have also checked in Options in the relevant Auto propagation section, but I don't see any option related to this. For comparison, this doesn't happen in memoQ. It might seem small, but it becomes an inconvenience when easy of movement throughout the document is essential.

If so, can it be reported as a bug or problem?

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  •  

Not really... although now I'm getting a different picture from your explanation.

Whether I choose just Yes or Yes to All, I get taken to another segment further ahead.

This could be the expected behaviour since you set the AP to ask you first and decide whether to confirm the segment or not.  But another question:

• taken to another segment further ahead or the farthest segment every time?
    • did you specifically want AP to work this way and ask you every time?
    • I don't have 2021 installed any more so cannot test in that version, but as you suspect this isn't something I can recall being a problem even in 2021.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • In this case, it appears this and most segments are repeated only once in the document, but, still, the point is that Trados takes me off the segment I'm working to a segment ahead, which happens to be considerably ahead in the document, which is inconvenient.

Yes, I prefer to be asked to confirm the auto propagation, but that shouldn't implicate being taken off the segment I'm working.

I don't believe much has changed in that regard between this version of Trados and the latest, though I don't know if the company has applied changes to auto propagation. Let me know if you can confirm this behaviour. If so, I think we can agree it is an inconvenience and reduces working efficiency and should be corrected.

emoji
  •  

Let me know if you can confirm this behaviour. If so, I think we can agree it is an inconvenience and reduces working efficiency and should be corrected.

I can't :-)  I did it once using "Yes" and then again using "Yes to all".  Works just fine for me, always returning me to the segment I was working in:

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • I see. Then this could be considered a bug? If so, can it be looked into? Otherwise, I can try uninstalling and reinstalling, though not ideal.

emoji
  •  

Then this could be considered a bug?

Possibly.

If so, can it be looked into?

No.  There is no point because you are using 2021 which is too old now for bug fixes.  Only 2022 and 2024 would get this treatment if indeed it is a bug.  I can't even reproduce it as I don't have 2021 anymore so I cannot be certain that's what the issue is.  What build of 2021 are you using?  The latest would be:

Trados Studio 2021 - 16.2.12.9338

If you don't have that build I suggest you update (it's free and will be in your account) and test again.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • I understand. I'm running the latest build (16.2.12.9338).

Thank you.

emoji