Bilingual EXCEL project setup

Dear Comunity!

The question is how to choose one column from a ONE SPECIFIC TAB in Excel. What happens in my case: the content of all Y columns appear in the Editor window and I don´t need them.... Hope this option exists...

Thanks in advance!

emoji
Parents
  • Hello,

To select a specific column from a specific tab in Excel for translation in Trados Studio, you can use the Bilingual Excel file type. Here's how you can do it:

Step 1: Open Trados Studio and go to "File" -> "Options" -> "File Types".

Step 2: Find the Bilingual Excel file type in the list. If it's not there, click on the "Additional installed File Types exist" link and check the Bilingual Excel file type checkbox.

Step 3: Make sure the Bilingual Excel file type comes before the regular Excel file type in the list. If it doesn't, you can either move it up or disable the regular Excel file type.

Step 4: Once the Bilingual Excel file type is enabled, click on it to view its settings.

Step 5: Set the source column to the column you want to translate (for example, column E) and the translation column to where you want the translations to appear (for example, column F).

Step 6: Confirm any existing translations that may already be in the translation column.

Step 7: Click "OK" to save your settings.

Step 8: Now, when you process your Excel file, only the content from the specified source column will appear in the Editor window for translation.

Please note that any changes made to the settings will only apply to files that are processed after the changes, not to existing files. If you've made this change after a file had been added to a project and prepared, you would need to remove the file, add it again, and prepare it for the new settings to take effect.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • I need to extract the contect of a specific column of only one TAB, not all tabs of the document

emoji
  • Hi  

In this case first open the Excel file and hide all other tabs (also all other columns on your chosen tab that you don't want to translate) before adding the file to Studio. Any content that is hidden will not be extracted for translation (same with Word for example). Let us know if this helps!

Best wishes,
    Greta

Customer Success Manager at RWS

emoji
Reply Children