Search and find tags or filtering for tags in Studio editor view

Hello,

how I can find tags or filtering for tags in Studio editor view? Because in some segments there are tags that needs special attention. For now I have to scroll slowly throw the hole file to find them, but maybe there is a better way.

I'm using Studio 2011, 2014, 2015. I didn't find a option, a function or something like that. In the old Trados 2007 TagEditor there was the possibiliy to find text in tags. This is what I need in Studio too.

Is this possible and I just know nothing about it?

thx

Parents
  • Hi Mirko,

It's not possible out of the box, but you can do it with at least one of the apps on the AppStore.  So here I seareched for the word "size" in tags in the source and as you can see this returns all the segments containing tags with the text "size" in them.

You can double click the segments in the results window and will be taken to the appropriate segment.  The app you need for this is the "Integrated Search Views" app:

You can dock it into any location in Studio so I just added it to the TM results location as an additional tab so it's simple to get at when needed.  It's also better to have it somewhere you can extend the size of the pane to get at all the options when using the Filter.

Hope that's what you needed?

• Hi  hi

I've just discovered that I can search for tags with the new display filter in Studio 2017.

See images below...

Searching in an xml-based sdlxliff:

and you don't even need to include the whole tag:

Useful for searching for non-breaking space tags:

Also works with a bilingual .xlf-based sdlxliff:

I thought maybe it was a fluke, only working on html-type files but it works with Word-based sdlxliffs too and even just the opening < is enough to filter these tags:

I asked myself if I was the only person who didn't know this? Am I slow on the uptake? 

I found this out by accident as I was searching for segments that began with a specific letter and was surprised that the filter didn't pick up the letter if there was a tag at the beginning of the segment so wondered if, miracle upon miracle, the new filter was 'seeing' tags.

And it is!

Don't do anything to change that, please! It is soooo useful!

Thanks!

Ali

• Hi Alison,

Tags pop up just about anywhere in the files I translate, so this could potentially be a big problem if the regular filter in the Review ribbon also started to include tags in its regex search.

In fact, the Advanced Display Filter now seems less useful now that I know it finds tags. (Unless you are specifically looking for tags.) There is no way I know to search for something with regex when a tag might unexpectedly pop up anywhere.

I would find it much more useful if there was, say, a checkbox or button to include/ignore tags. (Like the "Case Sensitive" button in the filter section of the Review ribbon).

Best regards,
    Bruce Campbell
    ASAP Language Services
  • Hi Alison,

Tags pop up just about anywhere in the files I translate, so this could potentially be a big problem if the regular filter in the Review ribbon also started to include tags in its regex search.

In fact, the Advanced Display Filter now seems less useful now that I know it finds tags. (Unless you are specifically looking for tags.) There is no way I know to search for something with regex when a tag might unexpectedly pop up anywhere.

I would find it much more useful if there was, say, a checkbox or button to include/ignore tags. (Like the "Case Sensitive" button in the filter section of the Review ribbon).

Best regards,
    Bruce Campbell
    ASAP Language Services
Children
  • Hi Bruce,

The regular filter in the Review ribbon does not see tags at all so if you want to simply use Regex without the worry of filtering tags by accident, then you can stick to that filter for regex searches.

However, you might want to filter for All repetitions of numbers and letters combos (that may also occur in the midst of a tag) in Draft content for example and you wouldn't be able to do that without using the new filter's other features.

In that instance, as you say, a checkbox to turn tag visibility on and off would be a great idea. I have no idea how hard that would be to program.

As much of my work includes reviewing technical translations of jobs that have been computer-generated and often need to have tags intact and identical, source to target, before they will upload to the client's complex online software, I am delighted I can check the tags this way.

All the best,
    Ali :)

• Hi Alison,

I was thinking more along the lines of, say, filtering on the phrase "hi there". Quite a few of the files I receive can have tags almost anywhere, so, for example, using the Advanced Display Filter to find "hi there" would not find "hi<tag> there" or "h<tag>i th<tag>ere", etc.

The use of different regex functions in the Review ribbon and Advanced Display Filter was probably a programming mistake, and will likely be "corrected" sometime.

Perhaps you could make a suggestion for improving Studio by standardising the two regex functions to include a checkbox/button to include/exclude tags.

That way we won't end up with just one or the other filter function when they "correct" things :-)

Best regards,
    Bruce
  • Hi Bruce,

That which you describe is still possible with the filter on the Review tab as you'll see below, the tags don't feature in the search:

The same search in the Advanced filter produces no result as it sees the tags.

So, yes, to be able to switch the tag search off and on would be good...

Though, unless you want to use the extra features of the new filter, you're still fine with the Review tab filter and I doubt that will change.

They're still both present because they both have their different functions, I presume.

All the best,

Ali

• Unknown said:

The use of different regex functions in the Review ribbon and Advanced Display Filter was probably a programming mistake, and will likely be "corrected" sometime. 

PS... There is no difference in the regex functions between the two filters, they both work the same. The end result is different because the old filter was never programmed to 'see' tags and I'm guessing that it never will be, probably because of the way it was programmed in the first place.

Is that so, ?

Have a good evening one and all!

Ali :)

• Unknown said:

Actually you're wrong!  I had forgotten about this until Ali reminded me, but I confirmed it with the developer this evening and he actually added this in after I asked him just before any more changes were locked down for the release.  So what's missing here now is an enhancement to do what you've suggested and that is to be able to explicitly say search in tags or not.

The advanced display filter was actually built using the API for this feature and it has been opensourced... so anyone can add this (any developer anyway) and you can even check the code where you'll see it wasn't a mistake!

https://github.com/sdl/Sdl-Community/tree/master/AdvancedDisplayFilter