Search and find tags or filtering for tags in Studio editor view

Hello,

how I can find tags or filtering for tags in Studio editor view? Because in some segments there are tags that needs special attention. For now I have to scroll slowly throw the hole file to find them, but maybe there is a better way.

I'm using Studio 2011, 2014, 2015. I didn't find a option, a function or something like that. In the old Trados 2007 TagEditor there was the possibiliy to find text in tags. This is what I need in Studio too.

Is this possible and I just know nothing about it?

thx

Parents
  • Whatever the case may be, this is something really useful, and I hope that 's request to not change anything (or, at most, add a checkbox to toggle the search in tags) will be fulfilled!

• I completely agree that it is useful.

But there are two problems I wanted to bring up.

First, the difference in the regex functions in the Ribbon and Advanced Display Filter is likely to confuse people because it is not documented and certainly unexpected.

Adding a checkbox or button would in effect act like documentation, informing the user that searching for tags is possible.

Second, if you want to run a complicated filter, e.g. search for a specific text string, but only in "Not Translated" and "Draft" segments, then it is easiest to use the Advanced Display Filter. But that means your regex has to take into account the possibility that tags might or might not be present. (Although I don't think it is possible to design a regex search to allow for the possible presence of unknown tags anywhere in a segment.)

If there are unexpected bookmark tags, formatting tags or optional hyphen tags in a segment, then the regex match will fail.

If you know this, you will, of course, never use the Advanced Display Filter unless you are 100% sure that your segments do not contain any unexpected tags.

You would be smart enough to use the filter in the ribbon instead and filter twice, once for "Not Translated" segments and once for "Draft" segments.

So there is a workaround if you know about the difference (and confusion if you don't), but in my view having to worry about whether tags might show up unexpectedly limits the "Advanced" filter a bit.

It would be much better use a checkbox or button to explicitly inform users that they have the option to search for tags if they want to.

Best regards,
    Bruce Campbell
    ASAP Language Services
  • Unknown said:
    If there are unexpected bookmark tags, formatting tags or optional hyphen tags in a segment, then the regex match will fail.

Can you mock up a small test file to prove this point?

• Hi Paul,

Here's a very simple Regex search that shows that the filter on the Review tab is not affected by tabs:

another example:

The filter on the Review tab does not see the tags.

On the same document, with exactly the same search & regex pasted into the Advanced display filter, only the segment with  no tags is found:

second example:

This is because the advanced filter sees the tags as text...

Does that help?

All the best,

Ali :))

Reply Children
  • Not really Ali... I was interested to see a more practical example where the current implementation is a problem. I agree we should add the feature to search in tags or not, but I was just interested to see a practical example of where it's a problem today. As far as I'm aware until you brought this up nobody even knew there was potentially a problem here so I'm just wondering where it might cause an issue for real?
  • Actually I take that back Ali... sorry! The HZ$ example is a very good one. Thank you.
  • Hi Paul,

I should have started a new thread about this because I hadn't realised 's original question was not about the 2017 version.

I can give you a more complex example if that proves the point better.

So, does the new filter see tags by accident rather than by design? I'd be sad to see that feature go, we've been asking for it since Studio first came out. I think the majority would be with me on that one.

If the old Review filter is not going to change, it's not that much of a problem so long as people know the difference between the two filters. Ignorance of the fact that any searches in the new filter will be impeded if there are tags present is the biggest problem.

has made a very valid point. I hadn't thought of the potential downside, I was so delirious about being able to search for tags again without converting to ttx for troubleshooting using Trados 2007! 

A tags on/off checkbox would be amazing but it's only needed on the new filter unless the old filter is going to become tag-sensitive too.

Ali :)

• Hi Ali,

Unknown said:
    I can give you a more complex example if that proves the point better

No, your Hz example was perfect.  Thank you.

Unknown said:
    So, does the new filter see tags by accident rather than by design? I'd be sad to see that feature go, we've been asking for it since Studio first came out. I think the majority would be with me on that one.

As I already said, this was a deliberate inclusion and there is code in there specifically to support searching in tags.  It was a last minute inclusion (my meddling where I shouldn't have!) and it could use a little refinement to include a "search in tags" checkbox so that it only calls this code when asked for.  As I said already, the code for this is opensource so any developer could add this as a plugin this afternoon if they wanted to;-)  Whether and when we enhance the one in the product will be down to development.

Regards

Paul

• Hi Paul,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for meddling! I read that post when I was half asleep and had forgotten you said that.

Just goes to prove that it's easier to write something in when you first create a function than to add it afterwards.

Keep meddling! One of the many reasons we love you!

Ali

PS: So, today's challenge:

All  you guys out there who are capable of creating a plugin to add a tag button to the new filter, off you go!

Who will get there first??

• Hi Paul,

I found another small problem with tag searching in the Advanced Display Filter.

Today I wanted to find break tags (e.g. "<br"), but I wanted to include all of the content between segments in the search.

I therefore went to the Advanced Display Filter and selected "Show All Content" in the Filter Attributes tab and "<br" in the Source field of the Content tab.

I expected only the segments and content between segments that contained "<br" to be shown.

Instead, ALL of the content between segments was shown (not just the content containing "<br") plus just the segments containing "<br". This means the source content "<br" filter was only applied to the segments, not the content between segments.

I have attached a test.docx4278.test.docx file that shows the problem. Using the Advanced Display Filter to search for "<br" in the source segment with a filter attribute of "Show All Content" shows ALL of the content between segments, along with segment 3 (which contains a column break tab).

It should instead just show the page break in the content between segments 1 and 2, along with segment 3.

Best regards,
    Bruce Campbell
    ASAP Language Services

• Hi again Paul,

I am having another problem with tag searching in the Advanced Display Filter.

I can find the tag for superscript text in the target segment by searching for part of the tag text, e.g. '<cf superscript' or 'superscript="true" ', or the complete tag text, i.e. '<cf superscript="true">'.

But what I really wanted to find was '1st' with the 'st' being in superscript text, i.e. '1<cf superscript="true">st</cf>'.

I can find '1<' in the target segment, but if I try to find '1<cf superscript' or '1<cf' in the target segment, the Advanced Display Filter displays no segments.

I can also find '>st' in the target segment, but if I try to find '<cf superscript="true">st' or '"true">st' or '">st' the Advanced Display Filter once again displays no segments.

And I can find 'st<' or 'st</' in the target segment, but if I try to find 'st</cf' the Advanced Display Filter displays no segments.

Please tell me this was not intended and will be corrected so that I can find something like '1<cf superscript="true">st</cf>' in the future.

Best regards,
    Bruce Campbell
    ASAP Language Services