This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

studioViews remove all spaces between sentences

We've only just started using studioViews to split, merge and generally export and import content.

I've used it on two projects to merge a bunch of smaller files into one larger file (from the Files view). However, after importing the translations (from the Files view) and then generating the target files, all spaces between sentences had been removed.

I've then tested it by creating a Studio project with 3 smaller sample files, merging them into one file with studioViews, copying source to target in the merged file and setting all segments to Translated, importing the translations into the 3 original files, and generating the 3 target files. And again, all spaces has disappeared...

I'm attaching a screenshot below of the original file and what it looks like after 'translation' using studioViews.

Is this a bug? Do I have a setting that is not configured correctly? How can we avoid this issue?

Thanks,
Lieven

Changed a typo.
[edited by: Lieven Lannoo at 6:53 PM (GMT 0) on 22 Nov 2021]
[locked by: Lydia Simplicio at 3:56 PM (GMT 0) on 23 Nov 2021]

Top Replies

Parents
  • there were changes made recently but it had to do with segment tags.

I do have some questions:

1. What version of the app are you using?

2. Is this happening for all files?

I tried to reproduce your issue with app version 1042 and I was unsuccessful.

When showing all white non break spaces using a silly example file as seen below, my space after period mark is protected.

Advice:

If you are also using the latest version of the app - please may I have step for step details of your workflow so I can try reproduce. 

If you are not using the latest version of the app - please install it from here:appstore.sdl.com/.../

Thank you

Lyds

• Hi ,

1. I'm using the latest version of the studioViews app (no updates available in AppStore window), Studio 16.2.8.9097 and Office 365 (up-to-date version).

2. Until now, this has happened to all projects and files, but I've only started using studioViews. I don't have the problem for any projects I don't use studioViews for.

I've run another test this morning, with the same results:

1. Created a simple .docx document with 2 sentences and made a copy of this file.

2. Created a Studio project without any translation resources, and using the Convert and Copy to Target batch tasks only.

3. Used Copy Source to Target for one sentence in each of the .xliff files, as studioViews doesn't seem to include any files that don't have any text in the target segments (very annoying).

4. Used studioViews in the Files view to merge my two .xliff files into one _merged_[####] file and added that merged file to my Studio project.

5. Used Copy Source to target in the merged file, set all segments to Translated and closed the file again.

6. Selected the 2 original files and used studioViews from the Files view to import the 'translations'.

7. Ran the batch task Generate Target Translations on the two files.

Result in both files:

Thanks for your help,
    Lieven

• Just wanted to add that my colleagues have the same problem (same versions of studioViews, Studio and Office). 

• just FYI - I am looking into this for you

• I logged this with our dev teams SDLCOM 3089 and tried a number of avenues to try find a temporary workaround. Nothing seems ideal but I would explore if you can use a regex in MS word where you could say something like: find period and replace with period and space. 

But it would need to be reviewed on a per document basis as I appreciate it wont be that easy to implement based on document structure.

• I logged this with our dev teams SDLCOM 3089 and tried a number of avenues to try find a temporary workaround. Nothing seems ideal but I would explore if you can use a regex in MS word where you could say something like: find period and replace with period and space. 

But it would need to be reviewed on a per document basis as I appreciate it wont be that easy to implement based on document structure.

Children
No Data