URGENT: MultiTerm unable to save entries

After I have written an entry in the termbase, an error message appears: "At least one error has occurred" in red at the bottom of the screen. After that, I can no longer access any other terms.
I have already updated the programme, but I can't remember what the update was called. I am using MultiTerm 2021 in German and the error message described above already appeared before the update.

Trados MultiTerm 2021 interface in German showing an error message 'Mindestens ein Fehler ist aufgetreten' in red at the bottom, indicating at least one error has occurred.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 2:23 PM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Dear Pia, 

this problem occurs from time to time. No idea why, just happens. And, yes, the search stops working, as you say:

After that, I can no longer access any other terms

The reason is most probably a locked entry or entries.

One or several entries can get locked when creating a new one, adding a synonim to one of the languages within the entry, when merging or linking one entry to another..... I was unable to figure out why exactly, but I will share several solutions that always work for me. 

But before, I would like to comment on the answer offered by   (based on my experience).

Reorganizing did not solve this problem in my case. So I did export and then created a new TBD with the same structure, but in the process around 30% of the images were not processed correctly and did not appear in the new file. I had to go the entries with images (a cross icon appeared instead of the multimedia object) and reattach them one by one from the folder where i keep them. This took time actually, but it taught me two important lessons: 

1. if you work on your TDB on a daily basis (I correct, add, attach new pictures, delete, merge, split every day, so it´s not just about new entries from time to time) , always create a backup copy at the end of the day (in case something goes totally wrong, the losses will be minimal and you will use the previous day version);

2. name the jpg. files properly before you attach them to your entry and save them to a dedicated TDB folder (in my case, the pics were saved in one folder, but mostly under random numbers, so it was an authentic nightmare when I had to look through all of them). 

So, locked entries did not appear in the new TDB, but the terms they contained were lost. However, the problem was solved back then, so this solution does work, though can result time-consuming and not very efficient due to the reasons above. 

So, how do you know whether you have blocked entries (sometimes they can co-exist with the rest of the file, can be readable, give no problems and their only inconvenience is that they cannot be edited). 

Check it in the Locked entries line here: 

Trados Studio database properties showing a section labeled 'Locked entries' highlighted in red without any IDs listed.

If you have any, their IDs will appear in the line. 

So go to each one, copy the information they contain (you will have to create them new) and do the following:

1. Sometimes deleting temporary TDB files can fix it. Go to the folder with your TDB and delete the cache:

File explorer window with a list of Trados Studio database files, some crossed out indicating they are not processed correctly.

Then click on you TDB to open it - new temporary files will be generated. See whether you still have your locked entries.

2. Go to each locked entry (type its ID in the search box , then Advanced search): 

Trados Studio interface with the term 'brake disc guiding lug' and an entry ID search box highlighted.

Just delete it, then create a new entry (100% manual) :). Problem solved.

3. I had cases when locked entries would not open or would not disappear when trying to delete them. In this case, close your TDB and open it in Access:

File explorer window with Trados Studio database files, one file highlighted indicating it is selected for deletion to clear cache.

Then go to mtlocks:

Microsoft Access database window showing an empty 'mtLocks' table with a red frame indicating where locked items would appear.

Locked items will appear in the list. Delete all the info (red frame) and save. 

Hope, this will help you to deal with the issue in the future! 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 9:36 PM (GMT 0) on 2 Mar 2024]
  • Dear Pia, 

this problem occurs from time to time. No idea why, just happens. And, yes, the search stops working, as you say:

After that, I can no longer access any other terms

The reason is most probably a locked entry or entries.

One or several entries can get locked when creating a new one, adding a synonim to one of the languages within the entry, when merging or linking one entry to another..... I was unable to figure out why exactly, but I will share several solutions that always work for me. 

But before, I would like to comment on the answer offered by   (based on my experience).

Reorganizing did not solve this problem in my case. So I did export and then created a new TBD with the same structure, but in the process around 30% of the images were not processed correctly and did not appear in the new file. I had to go the entries with images (a cross icon appeared instead of the multimedia object) and reattach them one by one from the folder where i keep them. This took time actually, but it taught me two important lessons: 

1. if you work on your TDB on a daily basis (I correct, add, attach new pictures, delete, merge, split every day, so it´s not just about new entries from time to time) , always create a backup copy at the end of the day (in case something goes totally wrong, the losses will be minimal and you will use the previous day version);

2. name the jpg. files properly before you attach them to your entry and save them to a dedicated TDB folder (in my case, the pics were saved in one folder, but mostly under random numbers, so it was an authentic nightmare when I had to look through all of them). 

So, locked entries did not appear in the new TDB, but the terms they contained were lost. However, the problem was solved back then, so this solution does work, though can result time-consuming and not very efficient due to the reasons above. 

So, how do you know whether you have blocked entries (sometimes they can co-exist with the rest of the file, can be readable, give no problems and their only inconvenience is that they cannot be edited). 

Check it in the Locked entries line here: 

Trados Studio database properties showing a section labeled 'Locked entries' highlighted in red without any IDs listed.

If you have any, their IDs will appear in the line. 

So go to each one, copy the information they contain (you will have to create them new) and do the following:

1. Sometimes deleting temporary TDB files can fix it. Go to the folder with your TDB and delete the cache:

File explorer window with a list of Trados Studio database files, some crossed out indicating they are not processed correctly.

Then click on you TDB to open it - new temporary files will be generated. See whether you still have your locked entries.

2. Go to each locked entry (type its ID in the search box , then Advanced search): 

Trados Studio interface with the term 'brake disc guiding lug' and an entry ID search box highlighted.

Just delete it, then create a new entry (100% manual) :). Problem solved.

3. I had cases when locked entries would not open or would not disappear when trying to delete them. In this case, close your TDB and open it in Access:

File explorer window with Trados Studio database files, one file highlighted indicating it is selected for deletion to clear cache.

Then go to mtlocks:

Microsoft Access database window showing an empty 'mtLocks' table with a red frame indicating where locked items would appear.

Locked items will appear in the list. Delete all the info (red frame) and save. 

Hope, this will help you to deal with the issue in the future! 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 9:36 PM (GMT 0) on 2 Mar 2024]
Children
No Data