Studio 2014 Alignment "module": summary of issues

Hello Community,

I was asked by Paul Filkin to post my Alignment review here and hopefully it will cause many comments and of course also improvements of this Studio feature. Altogether I have to say that the Studio 2014 alignment feature is much worse than the standalone WinAlign, at least regarding usability (we haven't tested accuracy improvements).

Bertrand Gillert
LocaSoft GmbH, Bonn

Realign from current segment command

There is no Realign from current segment command. The Studio Realign command also realigns segments above the current segment. This is very bad if there are some purposely non-aligned segments (as in our alignment jobs: additional text in the target).

This command existed in WinAlign.

No connecting using the mouse

Very bad! I always have to select the corresponding segments and right-click on Connect.

Selection of multiple segments not possible

For whatever reason, Align made “millions” of alignment mistakes. I have to remove the misalignments one by one! A very tedious and obsolete task. Why can’t I select any number of segments at once and disconnect them? Or add a Disconnect till the end command.

No Search feature

I cannot search for text. Helpful if matches are not visible on one screen. Maybe a bookmark feature could also help in this regards.

Altogether I have to say that Studio Align is a serious step back.

Disconnect removes ALL links

If there is a 1:n alignment and I just want to remove one segment Studio removed all links. In WinAlign, one could only remove a single link, the others were preserved.

Export TMX

Should be possible via File menu. Currently one has to create/add a memory and has to export it after “transferring” the alignment results to the memory. Much too time-consuming.

No File Type Selection

I cannot select or edit the file type of the files to be aligned. We have Java properties files which require a special file type definition. There will be much less matches since the aligned TM will contain text instead of placeholders.

Settings used for the translation task:

Actually strings like %1 should be a placeholder; however this Start Tag only marks the % character as internal (e.g. %1). But that’s still better than nothing.

Creating links using mouse not possible (anymore)

One has to select each segment until it’s “yellow” and right-click for confirm:

Almost a nightmare; costs lots of wasted time!

• I have to fully agree that the UI for alignment is very clumsy and frustrating.
    I don't have experience with WinAlign,
    but I think a simple grid like in Excel would have been much better.
    You could have ways to merge, delete or rearrange cells. At least
    that would have been sufficient for my use.
  • Thanks Bertrand, useful feedback.  In general I agree we need to do some work on improving the usability of this module, but first a few comments... it may also be worth you reviewing this article for a few tips which might be helpful.

Unknown said:
    There is no Realign from current segment command. The Studio Realign command also realigns segments above the current segment. This is very bad if there are some purposely non-aligned segments (as in our alignment jobs: additional text in the target).

If it wasn't for the puposely omitted alignments I would say this could be resolved by aligning above the current segment before you ran this option.  But this specific usecase clearly causes a problem for you.

Unknown said:

No connecting using the mouse : Very bad! I always have to select the corresponding segments and right-click on Connect.

This is possible with the mouse. But it is tricky to achieve compared to WinAlign.  I find I have to click the segment number first so it goes yellow and then I can drag the connection over with the mouse.  So a two click operation each time.  Probably easier to work in alignment edit mode with the checkboxes.

Unknown said:
    For whatever reason, Align made “millions” of alignment mistakes. I have to remove the misalignments one by one! A very tedious and obsolete task. Why can’t I select any number of segments at once and disconnect them? Or add a Disconnect till the end command.

Agreed.  I can disconnect all, but not just a selection.  I found the best way to work (sometimes... maybe not practical with massive files) is to adopt a two phase approach:

1. Disconnect all and then quickly run through the file aligning single segments every 10, 20 or 30 segments to suit
    2. Then run the Realign

This way the alignment tends to be better on problematic files.

Unknown said:
    I cannot search for text. Helpful if matches are not visible on one screen. Maybe a bookmark feature could also help in this regards.

Yes, this would be a nice addition.

Unknown said:
    If there is a 1:n alignment and I just want to remove one segment Studio removed all links. In WinAlign, one could only remove a single link, the others were preserved.

Agreed. This is a feature that should be put back.

Unknown said:

Export TMX : Should be possible via File menu. Currently one has to create/add a memory and has to export it after “transferring” the alignment results to the memory. Much too time-consuming.

I'm not completely in agreement with you here over the importance.  You can save to SDLTM or to SDLXLIFF.  Both formats retaining context information and far more useful than TMX for Studio.  If you want TMX because you intend to give this to someone not using Studio then the additional step to export from the SDTM or to convert the SDLXLIFF isn't a big problem.

Unknown said:

No File Type Selection : I cannot select or edit the file type of the files to be aligned. We have Java properties files which require a special file type definition. There will be much less matches since the aligned TM will contain text instead of placeholders.

You may find that this is actually possible in a roundabout way.  Try creating a dummy project set up as you would like.  Then make sure this project is active and now run the alignment.  You may find that the alignment adopts the settings of the active project.  I have not tested this enough to know how reliable this is in practice, but it could be worth looking at until we provide a better way to handle the filetype settings used for alignment.

This is a useful thread for you to have started as I think it's a good reference for the product teams as they work on improving this module in the future.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Thank you, Paul, for your exhaustive reply! I'm also using workarounds very often so if there is one helping to achieve the desired result it's a valid solution. However, I think that some of the missing usability features should be implemented in a future release thus eliminating the use of workarounds.
    The TMX export hasn't high priority for me; it was a remainder of a first report. You are right, an sdlxliff file is a better way. So let us hope for more fruitful comments! And of course for developers working on this.
  • Bertrand, having just spent a couple of hours with the aligner, I share your pain. So many basic mistakes in the design that you wonder if SDL ever asked a customer to look at it. It reeks of trying to be clever rather than focusing on ease of use.

1) Poor performance on an alignment with 2,200 segments (on a 16GB machine with a fast, modern SSD and CPU). When you're hammering through segments disconnecting and connecting the last thing you want to be doing is waiting 2-3 seconds between actions. Even scrolling (!) is unforgivably slow. Can there be any excuse other than poor coding?

2) Infuriating "feature" whereby both source and target panels scroll about according to the whim of some algorithm and cannot be pinned in place. I have looked at how MemoQ and AlignFactory do it and their approach is far more sensible and far easier to use. Allow the user to move the source and target panels independently and for heaven's sake leave each panel on the segment that the user put left them on! The software just isn't clever enough to be trying to do something this sophisticated. At the very least, allow us to switch it off.

3) No "find" function, as noted by Bertrand. So, not only can you put the source on one segment then go hunting around for the equivalent target (because it will move of its own accord) but you cannot work around it with the natural alternative, which would be to hit Ctrl + F and type in a string to find it.

4) No option to show non-formatted text. If I'm looking for a footnote in a tiny font AND at the same time the other panel is jumping about trying to second-guess me AND I can't use find, the chances of me finding that microscopic text are close to zero. Allow me to look at the text alone (without formatting) and allow me to adapt the size of the font. Then I can at least use my eyes to compensate for SDL's poor design decisions.

5) Inability to select multiple items and disconnect. I can disconnect all 2,200 segments or none. Why? What is the thinking (if any) behind this?

Each one of these is itself an irritant that reduces productivity. The cumulative effect of these - yes, unfortunately they do stack, and in the worst way - makes it an utterly horrible experience.

This afternoon's work has reminded me forcefully why I have only used SDL's aligner two or three times since I bought my licenses. It's because it's rubbish. No, really, I'm not going to sugar-coat it, it's not a case of "perhaps not as good as it could be" or "needs some work", it's just plain rubbish. It's unfortunate, because the core aligning function looks okay, but it's been destroyed by the problems of the UI. I gave up halfway through my align today, since I figured out that I could have completed the translation by the time I finished the align using SDL's tool. How damming is that?

Really, this needs to be fixed. Your aligner should be a competitive weapon, something that makes freelancers and agencies alike murmur with approval. Instead it's got people like me cursing at SDL on a Sunday afternoon.

Are there any changes planned for Studio 2017?

Dan

• Hmm, the only really good aligner is AlignFactory, if you ask me. LF Aligner is also pretty good.

Michael

• A couple of months ago, driven to desperation after the previous tussle with the SDL aligner, I did a trial of AlignFactory Light.

It was blissfully easy to work with compared to the SDL tool - I could change the font size AND search for text AND the panels didn't jump around! - but it also had a few quirks.

For one thing, changes in font size don't seem to be maintained in between sessions, so I had to change it every time. I want to save my eyes so I need large text, so this was an irritant, though it only happened once every session.

Also, I couldn't get the software to "split" segments on full stops (periods) in Japanese text. Perhaps AlignFactory just does not consistently recognise the Japanese period "。". Again, not a major issue.

Generally I found AlignFactory did a somewhat better job of aligning than the SDL aligner, even putting aside the usability issues of the latter.

However, the issues mentioned above and the overall sense that the UI has not been updated for years made me worried (especially when you consider the cost) that AlignFactory is not being actively developed. The fact that I got no response to my feedback only strengthened that sense.

If SDL were to make the three or four improvements to aligner usability suggested in this thread it would be an adequate tool, even without improvements to the aligning itself - I don't mind doing a bit of manual intervention. Then I wouldn't have to spend money elsewhere or start casting glances at MemoQ. (I have just had my first job in which the agency requires MemoQ and I must say my initial impressions are that it's pretty nice.)

Dan
  • Unknown said:
    Are there any changes planned for Studio 2017?

Hello Dan,

There are changes planned for Studio 2017, but none in this first release this year.  The alignment tool in Studio was created originally with the idea that users would not have to do any alignment at all, rather they make use of what can be aligned quickly and easily based on the confidence scoring it provides.  This way you focus on translating so if you receive a load of files to align on Friday night to help with a translation, then rather than spend days aligning documents containing segments that may not even be really useful you get to your translation faster and probably resolve anything during the translation process faster than you would have done had you spent time correcting poor alignments in the first place.

That was the logic behind the original implementation of the align tool which if you recall (you may not) didn't have an alignment editor at all.

But clearly we didn't address the usecase where people undertake alignment projects and need to be able to align everything perfectly, or where the alignment is needed to recover bilingual files from the original formatted source and targets.  So the next step was an implementation to satisfy this requirement but with a clear need to come back and address it in the future to ensure the editing environment was better.  Unfortunately we have not been able to prioritise this work for the initial release of Studio 2017 but it does have a high priority for improvements after that.

Until then you can still use WinAlign which I know many users find useful, or as Michael suggested, and if the file format is supported, LF Align which does a pretty good job and the editing environment is simple and functional.

Regards

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

• Unknown said:
    If SDL were to make the three or four improvements to aligner usability suggested in this thread it would be an adequate tool, even without improvements to the aligning itself - I don't mind doing a bit of manual intervention.

Hi Dan,

I guess you've already seen this but if not then perhaps it will be helpful as there are some small tricks you can apply for working with the Studio alignment tool that might make it easier?

Regards

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

• Paul, thank you for not playing down the issues and also for the pointer to the tips and tricks. I think I have tried most of those but I may return to the video again. I was not aware that WinAlign was still available; is it downloadable?

Dan
  • "It's because it's rubbish. No, really, I'm not going to sugar-coat it, it's not a case of "perhaps not as good as it could be" or "needs some work", it's just plain rubbish."

I agree 100% - and the worse thing is that SDL had (and still has) a perfectly sensible alignment tool... WinAlign, for the file types it still works with, is much better than the abortion they foisted on us afterwards.

SDL should sack whoever designed and programmed the new aligner, before they have a chance of "improving" some other application.

Nowadays when I have to align something, I either use WinAlign, LF Aligner or YouAlign (for files that are small enough - I would buy the paid version if I had to perform alignment operations more often).