New trados versions are incompatible with older versions

Hi,

I always order the latest version of Trados.

So of course I have the current 2022 version.

However, with each update, the product becomes less compatible with previous versions.

When I work on packages from customers or translators who have older versions, Trados randomly closes down without saving. This happens very often. In these cases I have to use an older version of Trados.

So I don't really see the point of upgrading.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

emoji
Parents
  • Hello Eric,

I understand your concern about the compatibility issues you're experiencing with Trados Studio. It's indeed frustrating when the software closes down unexpectedly. However, I have a few suggestions that might help you:

Step 1: As mentioned in the context, always upgrade your translation memories (TMs) each time you switch from one version of Trados Studio to another. This ensures optimal performance and robustness of your TMs.

Step 2: Make sure your TMs are saved on your local drive, preferably C:\. This is because upgrading a TM stored on a network drive or another shared/synchronized location may cause errors.

Step 3: To upgrade your TMs, open Trados Studio, go to the Translation Memories view, open the TM you want to upgrade, and right-click on it to select 'Upgrade Translation Memory'. If this option is grayed out, it means that the TM has already been upgraded.

Step 4: If you're still experiencing issues, it might be worth checking if there are any updates available for your current version of Trados Studio. You can do this within the application itself.

Step 5: If the problem persists, you might want to consider reinstalling Trados Studio. Sometimes, a fresh installation can resolve any underlying issues that might be causing the software to close down unexpectedly.

Remember, the goal of upgrading is to provide you with new features, improved performance, and better compatibility. I hope these steps help you to resolve the issue. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • Hello Eric,

I understand your concern about the compatibility issues you're experiencing with Trados Studio. It's indeed frustrating when the software closes down unexpectedly. However, I have a few suggestions that might help you:

Step 1: As mentioned in the context, always upgrade your translation memories (TMs) each time you switch from one version of Trados Studio to another. This ensures optimal performance and robustness of your TMs.

Step 2: Make sure your TMs are saved on your local drive, preferably C:\. This is because upgrading a TM stored on a network drive or another shared/synchronized location may cause errors.

Step 3: To upgrade your TMs, open Trados Studio, go to the Translation Memories view, open the TM you want to upgrade, and right-click on it to select 'Upgrade Translation Memory'. If this option is grayed out, it means that the TM has already been upgraded.

Step 4: If you're still experiencing issues, it might be worth checking if there are any updates available for your current version of Trados Studio. You can do this within the application itself.

Step 5: If the problem persists, you might want to consider reinstalling Trados Studio. Sometimes, a fresh installation can resolve any underlying issues that might be causing the software to close down unexpectedly.

Remember, the goal of upgrading is to provide you with new features, improved performance, and better compatibility. I hope these steps help you to resolve the issue. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
Children
No Data