Search field in SDL Community moves to far right of browser window when typing text

When I start typing text in the Search field of SDL Community, the field moves to the far right of the browser window and is overlapped by both the top banner and the right scrollbar. It is thus difficult to read the text typed to the search field. See image attachedScreenshot showing the SDL Community search field shifted to the right, overlapping with the top banner and right scrollbar in Mozilla Firefox browser.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 62.0.3 (64-Bit).

I suppose this is a bug?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 3:40 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi Marion,

I have tested the issue myself with an older version of Firefox and with the most recent version 63.0 (64-Bit) and I couldn't reproduce the issue.I have also tried other browsers, screen sizes, disabling javascript or testing the search offline, but nothing would point in the direction of your bug. If this bug occurs again we can have a call to see what the issue is.

Kind regards,

Silviu Avram
  • Hi there,

just got the information about this nasty little bug and as a developer of web projects I just could not resist to investigate this one ...
    It turns out, I was not able to reproduce the bug on multiple machines either, but decided to do a check on the associated events of the form element (using the standard Firefox or Chrome Utils CTLR+Q ...) which pointed me in the right direction. An "onClick" event is registered via JQuery. Looking at the code, I only found a very tiny function which was about devices using a touch screen.
    To confirm I fired up my laptop (runnig Xubuntu) which features a touchscreen, something do not use regularly. But for this time it was really worth it: Open up the page and click in the field and the strange behavior shows.

Interestingly, the bug does not surface when using the page on a mobile phone (I just tried my personal One plus One with a 5.5 Inch Display) as in this case a completely different, responsive layout is used. I think you will have to fiddle around with the combination of a large screen that features a touch interface. Just as a side note: This happens to be the case for many of the current Lenovo and DELL Laptops in the business series.

Good look and have fun hunting down this bug.
  • Hi there,

just got the information about this nasty little bug and as a developer of web projects I just could not resist to investigate this one ...
    It turns out, I was not able to reproduce the bug on multiple machines either, but decided to do a check on the associated events of the form element (using the standard Firefox or Chrome Utils CTLR+Q ...) which pointed me in the right direction. An "onClick" event is registered via JQuery. Looking at the code, I only found a very tiny function which was about devices using a touch screen.
    To confirm I fired up my laptop (runnig Xubuntu) which features a touchscreen, something do not use regularly. But for this time it was really worth it: Open up the page and click in the field and the strange behavior shows.

Interestingly, the bug does not surface when using the page on a mobile phone (I just tried my personal One plus One with a 5.5 Inch Display) as in this case a completely different, responsive layout is used. I think you will have to fiddle around with the combination of a large screen that features a touch interface. Just as a side note: This happens to be the case for many of the current Lenovo and DELL Laptops in the business series.

Good look and have fun hunting down this bug.
Children