Under Community Review

Embedding option for Terminology databases

I would like to make our termbases available as a read-only resource on my company's intranet website, so that anyone in my company can look up terms without needing to have a Trados account.

I imagine this working the same as embedding a video or an Excel sheet on a webpage - Trados would generate a link to the termbase, and when I paste the link into a webpage, a mirrored view of the termbase is generated on the webpage. This mirror would then automatically update as soon as the actual termbase on Trados is changed, so that new and changed entries are reflected immediately. My colleagues would be able to search the termbase and its languages, but not change anything.

Another option would be to do it via API calls, which is currently also not part of the API functionality I believe.

(I'm aware that something similar can be done with the Export Termbase functionality, but an embedded window would be more convenient since it would be updated automatically, without manual exports.)

An example of what I imagine could be the EU terminology database: IATE - Search - Standard view (europa.eu) - but less complicated :)

Parents
  • Hi Vera,

This is already possible by making use of SSO + Automated User Provisioning.
    What this means is essentially we can configure rules based on your Active Directory users, that when they login (without having to create accounts before in TE), they are automatically created and placed in a specific group (which could be like in your example, only read-only access to a certain termbase).
    We're hesitant to just offer a link, as that would mean in theory anyone on the Internet could access your termbase if they have the link, so the above is much more secure from that perspective, especially if it's confidential Terminology.

If you are interested in setting this up, best to reach out to your RWS Account Manager, who can then involve the people necessary.

Thanks,
    Luis

• Hi Luis,

thanks for your reply. It's not a bad suggestion, but in practice, I know that no one in the company will want to open an extra application just to look at terminology. We use our company intranet to share assets, resources, marketing material etc., so that's also the place where my colleagues will go to look for terminology. We need to make it as easy as possible for them to access, otherwise people will stop looking and forget about it.

Right now, we've made a page on our intranet and filled it with data from the Excel export. However, that's still a manual process and I need to regularly export a new Excel and format it to look pretty. It would be much better to do this automatically.

Comment
  • Hi Luis,

thanks for your reply. It's not a bad suggestion, but in practice, I know that no one in the company will want to open an extra application just to look at terminology. We use our company intranet to share assets, resources, marketing material etc., so that's also the place where my colleagues will go to look for terminology. We need to make it as easy as possible for them to access, otherwise people will stop looking and forget about it.

Right now, we've made a page on our intranet and filled it with data from the Excel export. However, that's still a manual process and I need to regularly export a new Excel and format it to look pretty. It would be much better to do this automatically.

Children