Under Community Review

Reversing language directions for server TMs

Users quite often work with AnyTM for file based resources but when they migrate to GroupShare the feature is unsupported as result the functionality of the translation system is decreased from translator's point of view.

• Hi Adrian,

I'm glad to hear that the enchantment is already registered. I know how the file based tm works :) The server reversed or temporary TM  could be created "on demand" for example user marks TM for reverse and if it contains  more than 100k TUs  the task  will be send to GroupShare background tasks as for amount of disk space or quantity of  TMs the some kind of life time could be set managed by user.

Regards,

Yuriy

• Hi ,

I think I understand the problem now. The "AnyTM - Any server-based TM" option works in Studio and it allows you to use any GroupShare TM for your project. BUT, what it does not do, is, it does not revert the languages. So if on a project you have EN_US - RU_RU language pair and add a GS TM with RU_RU - EN_US with AnyTM, then your English text will go in the Russian part of the second TM (lookup will not look in the English part either). So this is indeed less functionality as a file-based version. However, for file-based TMs, I am not sure if you noticed, AnyTM actually creates a new TM in the background with reversed languages in the same location as the TM you are adding is located. This should be possible with GroupShare TMs technically, but not nearly as easy. One topic there would be cleanup. If AnyTM will create a new server TM with reversed language pairs - should it leave it there once you're done? What if the server TM has 1 million TUs in it? That would take a long time to create a new one with reversed languages.  But, this being said, there is already an enhancement filed for this in our internal system with ID: LG-6914 (for future reference).

Thank you,

Adrian

• Hi Adrian,

The AnyTM: Any server-based TM allows ignore sublanguages only. My idea is to use en-ru TM along with ru-en as reference as it possible for file based TM.

• Hi  - There is the option  "AnyTM: Any server-based TM " - which works with GroupShare TMs. Is this what you are looking for, or is it something different?