Azure OpenAI connected to Trados Studio (Simply a Nightmare!!!)

Hello everyone,

I have been struggling for months trying to connect my Azure OpenAI profile to my Trados Studio 2024 but so far any attempt resulted unsuccessful.

I have created an Azure OpenAI account, I can see my Name, Endpoint, Models, API Keys, but when I try to fill in the Open AI plug-in provided by Trados I always get an ERROR telling me tat the connection is impossible, without being more specific!!!  I have tried milions of time with any possible attempt but no way....It seems like I need a Master Degree in Engineering to be able to manage and deal with Azure OpenAI.

Can anyone more expert than me give some hints on how to solve this problem?
I thank you in advance for your kind help.

Regards

Paolo Sebastiani

emoji
Parents
  • "Probability score": 0.6

"Question improvement suggestion": Please provide more specific details about the error message you are receiving, the exact version of Trados Studio you are using, and any troubleshooting steps you have already taken. Also, it would be helpful to know your operating system and its version.

In the meantime, based on the information you have provided, here is a suggested answer to your question:

Hello Paolo Sebastiani,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you're experiencing with connecting Azure OpenAI to Trados Studio. Here are some steps you can try:

Step 1: Ensure that you are using the correct API key from Azure OpenAI. This key should be copied and pasted exactly as it appears in your Azure OpenAI account.

Step 2: Check that the endpoint you are using is correct. The endpoint should be the one provided by Azure OpenAI.

Step 3: Make sure that your Trados Studio is up to date. You can check for updates within the application.

Step 4: If you're still experiencing issues, you may want to try reinstalling the OpenAI plugin in Trados Studio.

Step 5: If none of the above steps work, it might be a compatibility issue with Trados Studio 2024. You may want to try using a different version of Trados Studio to see if the problem persists.

I hope this answer addressed your question. If not, please reject the answer, add the question improvement suggestion information, and click the RWS Community AI checkbox on the right to try again.

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • My Trados Studio version is Edition 2024 released last June. My OS version.is Windows 11 and I am using a Laptop HP Pavillon

In my Azure OpenAI account I can see there are two API Keys (which one should I be using)? Are they exactly interchangeable? Can I use the first or the second independently? When it comes to models the confusion is at its highest!!! What are they? How can I create one tha works? Appearently anything that I am trying is not working!!! Very frustrating.

emoji
  •  

Most likely due to you using an incorrect API Plan or Tier.  If you try to access an API feature that your current plan doesn’t support (e.g., using a model reserved for higher tiers), OpenAI will reject the request with an error, potentially leading to a 401 Unauthorized status.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with their documentation around usage.  Once you understand that you'll have more success: Rate limits - OpenAI API

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Reply Children
  • Your quote: "Once you understand that you'll have more success"

The problem is to get to understand that...... it is so extremely complicated that I have done hundreds of attempts all of them resulted in no success!!! I think that it should be explained clearly somewhere by someone either OpenAI experts or Trados instructors,

It is not enough to just say to get familiar with all that!!! How can people become famliar?????

It is and will remain a nightmare!!!

emoji
  •   

ok - let's take this step by step then.  Please explain exactly what you have attempted to do?  I would also note that I just realised you said this:

Azure OpenAI profile

Are you really using Azure OpenAI or just OpenAI?  Two very different things.  The former is more complex and if you want to use it then you have to take control of this yourself.  We are not there to provide you with instructions on how to use it as we are not experts in Azure OpenAI.  We know how to use it in a basic way so that we can ensure we support the authentication and the return of results, in addition to supporting variables that interact such as prompts, temperature etc.

It is and will remain a nightmare!!!

If this is how you see it then perhaps the use of Azure OpenAI is not for you.

Trados provides support for many 3rd party solutions through integrations and connectors, and we are not experts in how they work.  If you'd like to get some training from us, and you're happy to pay for it then I'm sure we'd be happy to find someone suitably qualified to deliver it so that it suits your needs.

If you're using OpenAI as opposed to Azure OpenAI then it really is very simple.  The only thing that seems to trip most users up is not understanding the difference between ChatGPT and OpenAI.  Once they realise that the next stumbling block is using an appropriate tier for payment as having an API key on its own is not enough.  You have to understand the different Tiers based on your usage and ensure you have set up a payment mechanism with OpenAI to support it.

We have been adding detail to our own documentation to try and help users who have found it difficult to navigate the OpenAI documentation on their own.  You can find that here:

https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/249?tab=documentation

But I want to come back to this:

I have created an Azure OpenAI account, I can see my Name, Endpoint, Models, API Keys, but when I try to fill in the Open AI plug-in provided by Trados I always get an ERROR telling me tat the connection is impossible, without being more specific!!!

Again you mention Azure OpenAI.  But then you share a screenshot related to OpenAI and NOT Azure:

Screenshot of a software interface showing a 'Connection Failed' error message with a code -2146233088 and a message indicating an Unauthorized 401 error in Italian.

So if you're confused, think how we feel!

I think before we go any further you need to clarify the following:

1. You understand that Azure OpenAI is not the same as OpenAI
    2. That the API keys you created actually came from OpenAI and not Azure?  So from this site:
      https://platform.openai.com/api-keys

Then at least we can all talk the same language and get a little bit further in understanding what the problem really is.  Maybe you are using Azure... so tell me if this is familiar for you?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ai-services/openai/overview

I don't mean to demean you at all, but there is enough inconsistency in your questions to make me think this is a good place to start.

For anyone else getting confused about this here are some reasons why you might choose Azure OpenAI over just OpenAI... and yes I do see the irony in them both being called OpenAI as that part is actually the same!

Azure OpenAI provides some distinct advantages over directly using OpenAI, which might make it appealing for certain users, especially in professional and enterprise environments. Here’s why:

1. Enterprise-Grade Security and Compliance: Azure OpenAI operates within Microsoft’s Azure ecosystem, known for its robust security protocols, compliance certifications, and data protection standards.  For industries with strict data handling requirements (e.g., finance, healthcare), Azure's security measures can be a significant advantage.

2. Seamless Integration with Azure Services: Azure OpenAI allows users to integrate easily with other Azure services, such as data storage, analytics (like Azure Synapse), and automation tools (like Logic Apps or Power Automate).  This integrated environment can streamline workflows and enable more complex applications that leverage multiple Azure services alongside AI.

3. Flexible Deployment Options and Regional Availability: Azure OpenAI can be deployed across several data centres worldwide, allowing organisations to meet local data residency and latency requirements.  This flexibility is especially useful for businesses with geographic or regulatory constraints.

4. Enhanced User Management and Billing: For teams and larger organisations, Azure offers more sophisticated account management, billing options, and budget tracking.  This can simplify administration and cost control, particularly when multiple users and projects are involved.

5. Enterprise Support: Azure provides advanced support plans and a customer support infrastructure tailored to enterprise needs.  Companies looking for comprehensive technical support may prefer Azure OpenAI for peace of mind.

In short, while OpenAI may be ideal for individual users or small teams looking for simplicity, Azure OpenAI is often preferred for enterprise use due to its integration capabilities, enhanced security, and support structure.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:14 PM (GMT 1) on 25 Oct 2024]