Courses for marketing/PR

Aleksandra Szulc asked:

Could you recommend a course/any starting point in marketing/PR? I've always wanted to work in that area (and have for a bit during high school), but went to university for languages and translation instead.
Parents
  • Hi Aleksandra

I suggest that you can look for and apply for Marketing Assistant positions advertised. This is the entry-level role. Employers don't always require a degree in marketing as a pre-requisite. Look at their list of desired skills and experience and see if you have any of them! For example, here's a list I just saw on a role that is looking for a marketing assistant with a degree-level qualification and can demonstrate that they have these abilities:

• Detail-oriented and highly organised, able to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
    • Analytical skills and the ability to establish a good understanding of account performance and KPI measurement.
    • Confident communication skills - written, verbal and presentational.
    • Proven skills in building strong working relationships; a team player with a who can add to the already positive team culture and approach tasks with a problem-solving attitude.
    • Some knowledge and understanding of key marketing principles , however if you’re not there yet, we’re happy to get you up to speed if you're willing to learn.
    • A creative thinker who can brainstorm innovative ideas
    • Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes 

You can study for the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) exams. These are the industry-recognised qualifications. You can study for these exams while you are working, sometimes a company may sponsor you and pay for the course.

Don't forget that as a linguist you are already an excellent communicator and marketing professionals who have more than one language are highly sort after. Good luck.

• Hi Aleksandra

I suggest that you can look for and apply for Marketing Assistant positions advertised. This is the entry-level role. Employers don't always require a degree in marketing as a pre-requisite. Look at their list of desired skills and experience and see if you have any of them! For example, here's a list I just saw on a role that is looking for a marketing assistant with a degree-level qualification and can demonstrate that they have these abilities:

• Detail-oriented and highly organised, able to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
    • Analytical skills and the ability to establish a good understanding of account performance and KPI measurement.
    • Confident communication skills - written, verbal and presentational.
    • Proven skills in building strong working relationships; a team player with a who can add to the already positive team culture and approach tasks with a problem-solving attitude.
    • Some knowledge and understanding of key marketing principles , however if you’re not there yet, we’re happy to get you up to speed if you're willing to learn.
    • A creative thinker who can brainstorm innovative ideas
    • Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes 

You can study for the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) exams. These are the industry-recognised qualifications. You can study for these exams while you are working, sometimes a company may sponsor you and pay for the course.

Don't forget that as a linguist you are already an excellent communicator and marketing professionals who have more than one language are highly sort after. Good luck.

Children
No Data