How to get XML Write Plugin to update XML without check out and check in?

My use case is this: As an author, I want to update the metadata of a Tridion Docs Object (e.g., a DITA bookmap) via the Properties menu in Tridion Docs. The update should then be written in the object XML (e.g., a DITA bookmap metadata element).

Following the RWS documentation here, I have a plugin to do this, but I can only get the Properties update to reflect in the Object XML if I check out and check in the object after making the Properties update.

The process I follow is below:

1. Update the object Properties
  2. Check out the object
  3. Check in the object
  4. Open the object in an XML editor to see the change has been made.

The ideal process would be:

1. Update the object Properties
  2. Open the object in an XML editor to see the change has been made.

Is it possible to achieve my "ideal" process? I would assume if the CurrenAction condition is set to 'Update', it would, but I can only get the XML to reflect the Properties update if the CurrentAction includes 'Checkin'.

emoji
Parents
  • There are ways to achieve that, although I would wonder about the use case. Is it really necessary for Authors to have 'duplicated' metadata, with the potential conflict resolving of primary-secondary... so which one is really the master-copy and if I adapt the one in the file and it conflicts iwth actual metadata what happens next.

It feels that the duplication - if required - is happening quite early. Now if you need that downstream, at publishing time, you could consider an IPostPublishPlugin to do the duplication just-in-time when you need it.

I hope the above indicates some scenarios. I would first like to know the actual use case, before finding the best technical way to solve this. Is it really to make life easier for Authors, then please highlight what is easier.

Best wishes,
    Dave

emoji
  • There are ways to achieve that, although I would wonder about the use case. Is it really necessary for Authors to have 'duplicated' metadata, with the potential conflict resolving of primary-secondary... so which one is really the master-copy and if I adapt the one in the file and it conflicts iwth actual metadata what happens next.

It feels that the duplication - if required - is happening quite early. Now if you need that downstream, at publishing time, you could consider an IPostPublishPlugin to do the duplication just-in-time when you need it.

I hope the above indicates some scenarios. I would first like to know the actual use case, before finding the best technical way to solve this. Is it really to make life easier for Authors, then please highlight what is easier.

Best wishes,
    Dave

emoji
Children
No Data