Exporting a Server TM using the TranslationMemory API results in a TMX file that misses the context matching information

Hi, originally, I posted this question here, but I think I chose the wrong forum at least there was zero feedback ... So I post here again and hope to receive feedback here Slight smile

I have detected a problem with the Exporter class in the TranslationMemory API. The problem is that - when a server TM gets exported, the TMX is missing the context information after the export.

Here is my code:

Dim TMExporter As New Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryExporter(ServerBasedTranslationMemory.GetLanguageDirection(LangDir))

TMExporter.ChunkSize = 100

TMExporter.FilterExpression = GetFilterCreatedAt()

AddHandler TMExporter.BatchExported, AddressOf Exporter_BatchExported

strExportfile = ExportFolder & "\" & ServerTM & "_" & LanguageDirection.SourceLanguageCode.ToString & "_" & LanguageDirection.TargetLanguageCode.ToString & ".tmx"

Try

Dim strNow As String = Now.ToString("yyyyMMdd_HHmmss")

TMExporter.Export(strExportfile, True)

System.IO.File.AppendAllText(LogFile, ControlChars.CrLf & strNow & " SUCCESS: " & ServerTM & " , Source Language: " & LanguageDirection.SourceLanguageCode.ToString & " , Target Language: " & LanguageDirection.TargetLanguageCode.ToString
      & " was successfully exported to " & strExportfile & ". " & exportProgress.ToString & " TUs were exported." & ControlChars.CrLf)

Catch ex As Exception

Dim strNow As String = Now.ToString("yyyyMMdd_HHmmss")

System.IO.File.AppendAllText(LogFile, ControlChars.CrLf & strNow & " ERROR: " & ServerTM & " , Source Language: " & LanguageDirection.SourceLanguageCode.ToString & " , Target Language: " & LanguageDirection.TargetLanguageCode.ToString &
      " could not be exported. The original error message was: " & ex.ToString & ControlChars.CrLf)

System.IO.File.Delete(ExportFolder & "\" & ServerTM & "_" & LanguageDirection.SourceLanguageCode.ToString & "_" & LanguageDirection.TargetLanguageCode.ToString & ".tmx")

End Try

This code - when run on a local SDLTM exports everything just fine including the context information:

Screenshot of Trados Studio TMX code with highlighted section showing missing context information after export from a server TM.

But when I run it on a server TM, the TMX misses the context information after the export finishes:

Screenshot of Trados Studio TMX code with no visible errors or warnings, context information appears to be present.

I can also export the server TM from Trados Studio and from the Groupshare Web UI just fine and the exports always include the context information.

Also, as I said before - export from a SDLTM through the API also creates a TMX that includes the context information. 

It is really only the export from a server TM through the TM API that loses the context information. Is this a known issue? It basically means that - whereever automation of exporting TMX from server TMs is used to backup the TM data, this will currently lose the context information. 

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 4:12 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Patrick,

my test with CU9 was negative - with CU9, this code causes an internal server error (500) - it is still working fine against CU7 and CU8.1 of Groupshare (running Trados Studio 2022 SR1):

>>>>>>>>>>

Public Function GetServerTMs()

Dim ServerUri As New System.Uri(ServerURL & ":" & Portnumber)

Dim TMServer As New TranslationProviderServer(ServerUri, False, Username, Password)

For Each ServerBasedTranslationMemory In TMServer.GetTranslationMemories().   <---- Internal server Error (500) happens here 

Dim ServerTM As String = ServerBasedTranslationMemory.Name

Msgbox(ServerTM)

Next

Return 0

End Function

>>>>>>>>>>>

However, I will create a separate request for this issue, as this has (I think) nothing to do with my original ticket here.

But fact is - with CU9, I cannot retrieve any TMs any longer using the code above. This code as worked for years without any issues. Disappointed

• Hi   - there is indeed a known issue in the API when retrieving the list of GroupShare TMs, however you can work around it in your code by making certain small changes. I would ask   to explain the workaround here when he has time. Also tagging  . Thanks, Daniel

Daniel Brockmann
    Team Trados @ RWS

• Hi  , I have just received information from  that you should use  "GetTranslationMemoriesByQuery(TranslationMemoryEntityQuery query)" to get the TMs + avoid this exception. 

Can you try this an let me know how it goes?

• Hi Patrick,

I tried, but the result is exactly the same as with the GetTranslationMemories function.

Screenshot of Trados Studio error message displaying 'System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred.' and 'System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 500 (Internal Server Error).'

The error in the GS TMService.log is also identical:

2023-08-25 08:24:50.2662|WIN-DGSP368NVJB|Error|THREAD_ID:78|TR_ID:|EX:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.|DefaultExceptionHandler System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.ParsingHelper.GetPropertyName(CollectionNavigationNode property)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.AnyNodeParser.ParseInternal(AnyNode expression, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.AbstractSingleValueNodeParser`1.Parse(SingleValueNode node, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.ODataQueryOptionsParser.Parse(SingleValueNode node, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.ODataQueryOptionsParser.Parse[T](SingleValueNode node, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.UnaryOperatorNodeParser.ParseInternal(UnaryOperatorNode expression, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.AbstractSingleValueNodeParser`1.Parse(SingleValueNode node, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.ODataQueryOptionsParser.Parse(SingleValueNode node, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.BinaryOperatorNodeParser.ParseInternal(BinaryOperatorNode expression, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.ResourceQuery.WebApi.Parsing.BinaryOperatorNodeParser.ParseInternal(BinaryOperatorNode expression, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.AspNetCore.RestApi.OData.ODataQueryOptionsExtensions.ToResourceFilterExpression(SingleValueNode odataFilterExpression, String resourceIdFieldName)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.AspNetCore.RestApi.OData.ODataQueryOptionsExtensions.ToResourceListOptions[T](ODataQueryOptions`1 options, Int32 maxNodeCount)
    at Sdl.TMService.RestApi.Controllers.TranslationMemoriesController.Get(ODataResourceQueryOptions`1 options) in D:\a\1\s\TMService\RestApi\Controllers\TranslationMemoriesController.cs:line 1224
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ActionMethodExecutor.TaskOfIActionResultExecutor.Execute(IActionResultTypeMapper mapper, ObjectMethodExecutor executor, Object controller, Object[] arguments)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionMethodAsync>g__Awaited|12_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, ValueTask`1 actionResultValueTask)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeNextActionFilterAsync>g__Awaited|10_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Rethrow(ActionExecutedContextSealed context)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Next(State& next, Scope& scope, Object& state, Boolean& isCompleted)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeInnerFilterAsync()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeFilterPipelineAsync>g__Awaited|20_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeAsync>g__Awaited|17_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task task, IDisposable scope)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.<InvokeAsync>g__Awaited|17_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task task, IDisposable scope)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Routing.EndpointMiddleware.<Invoke>g__AwaitRequestTask|6_0(Endpoint endpoint, Task requestTask, ILogger logger)
    at Sdl.TMService.Common.Runtime.EntitlementVerificationMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context) in D:\a\1\s\TMService\Sdl.TMService.Common.Runtime\EntitlementVerificationMiddleware.cs:line 46
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authorization.AuthorizationMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
    at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.AuthenticationMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.AspNetCore.RestApi.Middleware.ExecutionContextMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context)
    at Sdl.Services.Common.AspNetCore.RestApi.Authentication.AuthenticationRequestMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context)
    at Sdl.TMService.Common.Runtime.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionHandlingMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context) in D:\a\1\s\TMService\Sdl.TMService.Common.Runtime\ExceptionHandling\ExceptionHandlingMiddleware.cs:line 30

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 4:13 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Hello  

Can you please please tell us, please, what parameters you send in the TranslationMemoryQuery.

Also, here is an example of parameters that works: 

var input = new TranslationMemoryEntityQuery()
    {
    Size = 10,
    Index = 1,
    IsProject = true,
    OwnerId = GuidOwnerId,
    IncludeChildResourceGroups = true,
    ResourceGroupPath = "Location"
    };

Also send paratmeter IsProject as true, so you'll get all TMs.

Can you, please, try this an let us know how it goes?

• Hello  

How TranslationMemoryQuery looks?

Here you have an working example: 

var query = new Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryQuery() {
    ResourceGroupPath = UserSettings.Organization,
    IsProject = true,
    IsMain = true,
    IncludeChildResourceGroups = false
    };

Also, set IsProject as true.

Can you, please, try this an let us know how it goes?

Thanks!

• Hello Paul,

many thanks, I will try this and get back to you on the results. 

Kind regards

Tom

• Hello Paul - this is to confirm that this approach works with CU9 of Groupshare! Many thanks for pointing me to the workaround!