Create Trados Project Packages for Trados 2009 using Trados API 2011

Hello SDL developers,

we think the functionallity in Trados Studio 2011, to create project packages for Studio 2009 is very helpful for our clients. As Ian told me, this is not possible so far using the API. So I would like to request this ;) .

Please tell me, if this would be possible to add. And a time frame would be perfect :) . (But to know that it will be availlable some day, would be okay for me) (In our program I've already finished the code for that. I just need an API method.)

Thanks and greetings,

-Stephan Tandel- 

Parents
  • Stephan

While it seems to be useful to do this, I would like to draw your attention onto the fact that this capability is limited and should only be used for a (hopefully short) transition period. It should not become standard to create 2009 packages from within Studio 2011 because this is only a kind of workaround wiht limited functionality.

A 2009 package created in 2011 will open in Studio 2009 and will allow the user to translate the files contained in it using the Editor. However, he might face problems when trying to preview some of the files or save them as target. This is due to the fact that the conversion filters used in 2011 are not fully compatible with those installed with Studio 2009. This means that the "Save as target" needs to be done by the package creator once he has received the return package.

I think this limitation and the provisional character of the function will not justify the development of an API for this.

Walter

• Stephan

While it seems to be useful to do this, I would like to draw your attention onto the fact that this capability is limited and should only be used for a (hopefully short) transition period. It should not become standard to create 2009 packages from within Studio 2011 because this is only a kind of workaround wiht limited functionality.

A 2009 package created in 2011 will open in Studio 2009 and will allow the user to translate the files contained in it using the Editor. However, he might face problems when trying to preview some of the files or save them as target. This is due to the fact that the conversion filters used in 2011 are not fully compatible with those installed with Studio 2009. This means that the "Save as target" needs to be done by the package creator once he has received the return package.

I think this limitation and the provisional character of the function will not justify the development of an API for this.

Walter

Children