Better Studio SDK experience

Hi,

We recently started to look at various options on how we can improve the Studio SDK learning experience. One of the first things we want to do is to move all the code samples and project templates to github which will allow you to browse the code without Visual Studio installed, contribute to an existing sample or create a new one and of course better explain what the sample is doing. This will happen in the next couple of weeks.

In parallel we have also started an internal discussion about ways to improve the current SDK documentation. Since the OpenExchange community is the main consumer of the SDK documentation I think is really important to have your view on this. Please share your view by answering the following questions:

1. Name some features that you would like most  and are not in the platform now?

2. Would you be interested to be able to contribute to the documentation ?

I'm looking forward for your replies.

Parents
  • Great initiative:

1. Features I would like to have

- Offline access to the documentation. Whem I am on the road with no internet access, it would be great to be able to keep working. :)

- Documentation for the Workbench API (I would find it useful for converting batches of TMW and TXT files to Studio TMs, for instance).

- Adding comments  and questions (personal and public) directly to the documentation. For instace, if am reading a part of the documentation, it would be great to be able to highlight it and add a comment to it. Then I could decide if I want to make this comment public or personal or visible perhaps to colleagues in the same organisation.

- Samples in VB.NET I am getting used to C# but it would be great have samples in VB.NET.

- Code snippets: if other users created code snippets that might be useful for other users, it would be good to have the possiblity of sharing them (like the comments above).

- COM interface: this is not part of the documentation but I would find it extremely useful if it was possible to have COM interface for Studio (like we have for MultiTErm) which would allow us to use a light development environment like VBA.

- Not having to run executables from the Studio installation folder. This is an annoying constraint for us.

2. Would be interested on contributing to the documentation?

If it was implemented in a light way (wiki or adding comments or samples to the documentation) maybe more people could help a bit.

I hope this is useful.

Daniel

• Great initiative:

1. Features I would like to have

- Offline access to the documentation. Whem I am on the road with no internet access, it would be great to be able to keep working. :)

- Documentation for the Workbench API (I would find it useful for converting batches of TMW and TXT files to Studio TMs, for instance).

- Adding comments  and questions (personal and public) directly to the documentation. For instace, if am reading a part of the documentation, it would be great to be able to highlight it and add a comment to it. Then I could decide if I want to make this comment public or personal or visible perhaps to colleagues in the same organisation.

- Samples in VB.NET I am getting used to C# but it would be great have samples in VB.NET.

- Code snippets: if other users created code snippets that might be useful for other users, it would be good to have the possiblity of sharing them (like the comments above).

- COM interface: this is not part of the documentation but I would find it extremely useful if it was possible to have COM interface for Studio (like we have for MultiTErm) which would allow us to use a light development environment like VBA.

- Not having to run executables from the Studio installation folder. This is an annoying constraint for us.

2. Would be interested on contributing to the documentation?

If it was implemented in a light way (wiki or adding comments or samples to the documentation) maybe more people could help a bit.

I hope this is useful.

Daniel

Children
No Data