Failed to load application settings from Sdl.ProjectApi.xml - NullReferenceException caused by Sdl.Desktop.Platform.PluginManagement.StudioPluginManager.Resolve[T]()

Hello everyone!

I'm facing problem with our integration with Trados after upgrading Trados from version 17.0.3.11695 to 17.2.8.18668.

Our application doesn't start properly and produce following log:

INFO 2024-01-09 09:42:54 – Starting application
INFO 2024-01-09 09:42:55 – Initializing singleton...
INFO 2024-01-09 09:42:55 – Trying to initialize application, initialized = False
INFO 2024-01-09 09:42:55 – Initializing project server
ERROR 2024-01-09 09:42:55 – Error during initialization
Sdl.ProjectApi.ProjectApiException: Failed to load application settings from 'C:\Users\{my_user_name}\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17\Sdl.ProjectApi.xml':
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.PluginManagement.StudioPluginManager.Resolve[T]()
in Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Xml.Application.get_Serializer()
in Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Xml.Application.Deserialize(Stream stream)
in Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.ApplicationRepository.Load()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
in Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.ApplicationRepository.Load()
in Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.ApplicationRepository..ctor(ILogger log, String applicationFilePath)
in Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Factory.CreateApplication(ILanguageCloudService languageCloudService, IApiClientBuilder apiClientBuilder)
in Sdl.ProjectApi.ApplicationFactory.CreateApplication(ILanguageCloudService languageCloudService, IApiClientBuilder apiClientBuilder)
INFO 2024-01-09 09:42:56 – Trying to initialize application, initialized = False
INFO 2024-01-09 09:42:56 – Initializing project server

After some research I've found that the method Sdl.Desktop.Platform.PluginManagement.StudioPluginManager.Resolve[T]() itself is causing error without apparent reason.
I've created simple project that only runs this one line and it gives the same result:

Screenshot of code in Visual Studio showing an error message 'System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.PluginManagement.StudioPluginManager.Resolve method.

Do you have any advice on how to fix it?

Cheers,
Wojtek

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 1:41 PM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]