What version of "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010" do I need?

I am a translator and I want to try to develop a plug-in for SDL Studio 2017.

The SDL documentation says I need "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010", but is any version good enough? Microsoft has Express, Premium, Professional and Ultimate versions ($$$).

Thanks in advance for any insights (or link to an FAQ).

Gary Hess

Parents
  • Hi Gary,

If you want to develop an app for Studio 2017 download Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community. It's free but will has enough functionality for what you need. You will need to use the latest version of .NET Platform in your app and VS 2010 does not support it.

If you are new to programming learn C# as that is the language that has the most code examples for Studio. Register with SDL as a developer and gain access to all of their resources and check out Github for Studio, just Google github sdl studio.

Best of luck,

Ben
  • Hi Gary,

If you want to develop an app for Studio 2017 download Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community. It's free but will has enough functionality for what you need. You will need to use the latest version of .NET Platform in your app and VS 2010 does not support it.

If you are new to programming learn C# as that is the language that has the most code examples for Studio. Register with SDL as a developer and gain access to all of their resources and check out Github for Studio, just Google github sdl studio.

Best of luck,

Ben
Children