Downloading large outputs using Get-IshPublicationOutputData is slow, is there anything I can do to speed it up

I am currently using Get-IshPublicationOutputData to download output from a bunch of publications. I use this with powershell's foreach-object -parallel, which executes jobs in parallel without waiting for the current item in the for loop to complete. This works quite well for outputs where are relatively small, less than 100MB. I can download 300+ distinct outputs in a couple of minutes.

However, we also have some outputs that are 1GB+, and when trying to download those outputs using Get-IshPublicationOutputData, it is painfully slow to the point of being unusable. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

emoji
Parents
  • Hi Mic-uh

The magic behind Get-IshPublicationOutputData is an HTTP request to the server, probably a secured SOAP request depending on your server-version. In turn all your parallel requests arrive at the application server to execute on, for this the server needs to have CPU/Memory available. The application server goes to the database server to retrieve your small-medium-large files, for this the server needs to have CPU/Memory available. Bigger requests (stretches of 1GB of memory) take longer than small requests. And on these servers, you are not alone, you have colleagues who potentially are doing the same or worse Slight smile

So as often in IT, there is a next bottleneck... typically maxed out CPU, or memory or I/O throughput. The system will cope with queueing and retries, but at some point you hit an absolute timeout.

Based on the above description for your environment you'll need to try to find the balance in how many requests the server can run in parallel... leave some room for your colleagues... often for throughput less parallel could still mean you arrive at the finish line faster.

Best wishes,
    Dave

emoji
  • Hey Dave, thanks for the answer. Is there some fundamental between the API call and going into the web GUI and download the publication?

emoji
Reply Children