Under Community Review

Have read-only/hidden status and "translator" comments of target language in base project propagate to target languages in cascaded project

Hello,

We use cascaded projects to first copyedit our English GUI, and then translate into 8 languages.

In the base project the source language is en_GB ("Developer English") and the target language is en_US ("Copyedited English"). In the cascaded project, there are 8 target languages.

Before translation, I send an en_US bundle to our technical writer so she can copyedit the English strings. She may mark obsolete strings or strings that don't need to be translated "read-only" or "hidden." She may make a comment to explain the context of a word with multiple connotations.

Currently the read-only/hidden status and the comments do not get cascaded to the target languages in the cascaded project. It only works if we mark the source string (en_GB) read-only/hidden or add a comment there. 

It'd be great if we could cascade this from the copyedited English (en_US, target language in base project) to the foreign languages.

Thanks!

Di

Parents
  • I still do not understand how your writer is adding "read-only" and "hidden" as this is not possible with a translation list. And if the writer is just adding comments (instead of changing the text itself) the feature your have requested is already available. Just export the source list only in which the writer can directly change "read-only" and "hidden"  and add comments. Importing the source list bundle will import the changes the writer has done and updating the translation lists in t he main project will inherit the data to all languages.

Comment
  • I still do not understand how your writer is adding "read-only" and "hidden" as this is not possible with a translation list. And if the writer is just adding comments (instead of changing the text itself) the feature your have requested is already available. Just export the source list only in which the writer can directly change "read-only" and "hidden"  and add comments. Importing the source list bundle will import the changes the writer has done and updating the translation lists in t he main project will inherit the data to all languages.

Children
No Data