Planned for Future Release

Allow Backup of individual Server TMs

We sometimes find ourselves in a situation where we have made changes to a server TM and discover that the changes were not good.

With file-based TMs, we always create a simple backup copy of the TM and if things go wrong we just delete the faulty one and use the backup.

It would be great if in GS there were a feature to create a "snapshot" or a "backup" of a single TM that DOES NOT involve exporting to TMX and possible restarting from scratch.

Parents
  • Hi Luis,

Using the Recycle Bin approach would be a workaround, assuming that restoring from it really and reliably works. I would still prefer to have a backup that I can put aside and restore if/when I need it. I can think of several use-cases where this might be helpful, in addition to the one suggested initially:

- Remove server TMs when it is clear that they will not be needed for some time.

- Better archiving (combining all project assets including TM), especially on large one-off projects.

- Clutter-removal

I am aware that much of it can be accomplished by exporting into TMX, but that can be a very time-consuming process and does not guarantee of full round-trip.

Comment
  • Hi Luis,

Using the Recycle Bin approach would be a workaround, assuming that restoring from it really and reliably works. I would still prefer to have a backup that I can put aside and restore if/when I need it. I can think of several use-cases where this might be helpful, in addition to the one suggested initially:

- Remove server TMs when it is clear that they will not be needed for some time.

- Better archiving (combining all project assets including TM), especially on large one-off projects.

- Clutter-removal

I am aware that much of it can be accomplished by exporting into TMX, but that can be a very time-consuming process and does not guarantee of full round-trip.

Children
No Data