Not Considering

This is more of a commercial question, rather than product. I have passed on the feedback internally, but not much we can do from a product perspective here.

Make pricing publicly available

If I'm interested in a product, I don't want to have to enter loads of personal details and have to ask for a price in a written message. I want to know the price even before getting into deeper research, because it legitimately annoys me if I spend half a day researching product functions just to find out it is way to expensive for the way I'd apply it.

Parents
  • I have one client that I proofread German original texts for. Based on  my beautiful German proofread originals, they have an agency supplying simply awful translations into English. They are so terrible that I consider breaking with a 17 year old strict rule and starting to offer boutique agency services just for that one client. That means they would drop their translation stuff on my desk and I would organize GE-EN translation with trusted native English-speaking colleagues. (Preferably only with one, but I might need up to three, because one might not always be available.)

That would also have the added value that I could send smaller parts for translation while I'm still proofreading. I'd field most of the translator's questions about the text and the terminology; problems I can't solve would be escalated to the end client.

We have a project for terminology management going on, too, which is extremely important for that one client. So agile changes in and additions to MultiTerm will play a major role. I'd also like to be shown every new term added by the translator for vetting purposes, preferably more or less in real time.

About my customer experience with this product: Ten days ago on Friday, I entered all my details in order to by able to download a brochure for GroupShare. Then one minute later, I had to enter them all again in order to ask about the price, in the process selecting one from four non-applicable subject matters that were so weird I can't even remember them. Early last Friday morning, one week after I my original request, I complained on FB about nobody getting back to me. Within half a day I got an answer on FB, saying Petra Dutz would get back to me.

You see, as a translator, I have to get back to a client within hours, preferably minutes, and within ten days, I have to do huge amounts of work for them. That's why it strikes me as ridiculously unprofessional if a huge company like yours is unable to answer a very simple question within ten days. How am I supposed to trust them helping me with a critical problem?

You, Paul, seriously are the only reason for many of us to stick with SDL, and I hope you stay there forever. If they doubled your salary, they still wouldn't pay you enough. (But don't do anything about this matter – let's just see how long it takes them to get back to me. It was urgent, but it is not urgent anymore. My offer to the client has long been sent out with no mention of GroupShare ...)

One more question: If I ever got it, would you be able to support me using it? That clearly would be a selling point. Or would I have to rely on those people?

All the best and have a good week!

Eva

Comment
  • I have one client that I proofread German original texts for. Based on  my beautiful German proofread originals, they have an agency supplying simply awful translations into English. They are so terrible that I consider breaking with a 17 year old strict rule and starting to offer boutique agency services just for that one client. That means they would drop their translation stuff on my desk and I would organize GE-EN translation with trusted native English-speaking colleagues. (Preferably only with one, but I might need up to three, because one might not always be available.)

That would also have the added value that I could send smaller parts for translation while I'm still proofreading. I'd field most of the translator's questions about the text and the terminology; problems I can't solve would be escalated to the end client.

We have a project for terminology management going on, too, which is extremely important for that one client. So agile changes in and additions to MultiTerm will play a major role. I'd also like to be shown every new term added by the translator for vetting purposes, preferably more or less in real time.

About my customer experience with this product: Ten days ago on Friday, I entered all my details in order to by able to download a brochure for GroupShare. Then one minute later, I had to enter them all again in order to ask about the price, in the process selecting one from four non-applicable subject matters that were so weird I can't even remember them. Early last Friday morning, one week after I my original request, I complained on FB about nobody getting back to me. Within half a day I got an answer on FB, saying Petra Dutz would get back to me.

You see, as a translator, I have to get back to a client within hours, preferably minutes, and within ten days, I have to do huge amounts of work for them. That's why it strikes me as ridiculously unprofessional if a huge company like yours is unable to answer a very simple question within ten days. How am I supposed to trust them helping me with a critical problem?

You, Paul, seriously are the only reason for many of us to stick with SDL, and I hope you stay there forever. If they doubled your salary, they still wouldn't pay you enough. (But don't do anything about this matter – let's just see how long it takes them to get back to me. It was urgent, but it is not urgent anymore. My offer to the client has long been sent out with no mention of GroupShare ...)

One more question: If I ever got it, would you be able to support me using it? That clearly would be a selling point. Or would I have to rely on those people?

All the best and have a good week!

Eva

Children
No Data