Under Community Review

Change the way the 5 languages limitation works in the Freelance version

The limitation of 5 languages is one of the main differences between the Professional and Freelance version. However, the way it has worked for ages is that a user needs to select the 5 languages each time the product is installed. Also, each time a major change is introduced, a new version installed, sometimes even for service packs/releases. It's actually one of the most common comments on user groups - "why do I need to select the 5 languages again?".

My suggestion is simple: include this limitation directly in the product instead of making it a pre-requisite to installation. So, a product would be installed with ALL the languages, but if a user works or selects resources in more than 5 resources at a given time (or even among all the projects on the list) it would display a warning/error message that Freelance version only allows 5 language pair to be used. And that's it. This would be a huge relief for 99% of users, while it would still preserve the product versions and functionalities designed by product development. 

Please consider it.

Parents
  • Totally agree. Or if that's too complex to do, make if "min 1, max 5" during installation. Most freelancers I would imagine only need one part, not 5. I would image this should also cut down on some weirdness linked to the fact that Studio thinks it is handling 5 languages and doesn't always get it right when it comes to loading termbases even if you set one pair as default.

Comment
  • Totally agree. Or if that's too complex to do, make if "min 1, max 5" during installation. Most freelancers I would imagine only need one part, not 5. I would image this should also cut down on some weirdness linked to the fact that Studio thinks it is handling 5 languages and doesn't always get it right when it comes to loading termbases even if you set one pair as default.

Children
No Data