Under Community Review

Easier, faster selection

To my knowledge, Studio is one of the last applications not to allow more flexible ways of selecting text. As things stand, you can double-click a word to select it, but the only (mouse-based) way of selecting more than one word is to single-click and drag. My suggestions received a fair amount of support when first proposed. Basically we should be able to have selection methods like those of MS Word, the industry standard:

Idea 1
Double-click + drag to select a sequence of words in a segment. The double-clicking selects the first word, then keep mouse button pressed to select the rest. Same as in Word. Much faster, easier and less fiddly than at present and involves no keystrokes. No hunting for the right start point + confidence in knowing whole words are being selected.

Idea 2
Triple-click to select the whole segment in one go. Fast and easy.

Parents
  • I think Evzen means he would not like to see the space copied too.  He just wants the word to be selected as he probably finds he has to then delete an unwanted space when using this feature in Word.  So I think it is "here and there", people work in different ways and just because Word does something does not mean it's the preferred behaviour for everyone.  To be honest I can think of situations when it would work and also when it would not... but again this simple thing is a good example of how difficult it can be to please everyone.  We have loads of examples of these kinds of anomalies in features... and adding options for everything eventually leads to massive complexity in the product.  So product management often have to take a stand and hope they made the right one!

Comment
  • I think Evzen means he would not like to see the space copied too.  He just wants the word to be selected as he probably finds he has to then delete an unwanted space when using this feature in Word.  So I think it is "here and there", people work in different ways and just because Word does something does not mean it's the preferred behaviour for everyone.  To be honest I can think of situations when it would work and also when it would not... but again this simple thing is a good example of how difficult it can be to please everyone.  We have loads of examples of these kinds of anomalies in features... and adding options for everything eventually leads to massive complexity in the product.  So product management often have to take a stand and hope they made the right one!

Children
No Data