Under Community Review

Importing segments not just the whole file

Those of us who work with long files and tight deadlines, need an option to import segments, in batches,group of segments (e.g. a chapter) or chunks of text. When the deadline is near and the editor starts to work when we are still translating we need a tool allowing us to import "chunks" of edited text into the xliff file while we are still translating.

So far, it's very time-consuming (for me). I've only found handcrafted solutions, (preparing a tm; exporting the bilingual file--cutting and pasting edited file into the bilingual file and importing again into the xliff, with the risk of errors, stress and headaches.

What I mean is just a tool for importing a number of segments, with no steps in between; Perhaps there are anonymous geniuses out there that have already found "the easy way: importing "error free" edited segments into the xliff" and want to share their idea.

Thank you!

Alita

Parents
  • I support this idea. On engineering side it's also not uncommon to receive "staggered translation deliveries" of a bigger file.

Partial solution (not always possible to use) is to lock all segments which should be left intact and then apply PerfectMatch using the 'staggered delivery file'... and then unlock the previously locked segments. Problem is if some of the locked segments were locked already before and should still stay locked - it's not possible to tell which ones should it be.

So such selective import would be handy - if one could specify the segment numbers/ranges like e.g. specifies pages to be printed in Office: "1,3,4, 7-10,15".

Comment
  • I support this idea. On engineering side it's also not uncommon to receive "staggered translation deliveries" of a bigger file.

Partial solution (not always possible to use) is to lock all segments which should be left intact and then apply PerfectMatch using the 'staggered delivery file'... and then unlock the previously locked segments. Problem is if some of the locked segments were locked already before and should still stay locked - it's not possible to tell which ones should it be.

So such selective import would be handy - if one could specify the segment numbers/ranges like e.g. specifies pages to be printed in Office: "1,3,4, 7-10,15".

Children
No Data